Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why some engines blow at 400 HP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Why some engines blow at 400 HP

What really ticks me off is all the BS from Vortech/Paxton Their the same company but come off as their not. I talked to a tech there Friday his name was Jamie and if you happen to get him just hang yourself it would be less painfull then talking to this idiot. I ask about the 575hp car in road and track that Vortech bragged about and was told it was an employees car and he had sold it. I ask what they did for the T trim for injectors /pumps and so on his reply was well we didn't write it down and the car is gone so I just don't know.

So I ask how do you guys sleep at night putting out this BS about 450 hp bolt on S trim kit for the GT and got told well we don't control the ads! He told me most make 400 plus at the flywheel and in an auto deducted 30 %! What BS!!!!!!!!! Oddly enough he ask if this was John from AirFoil Aviation and I said yes, he told me that FC had contacted him several times and he was told to get ready for a pissed off customer and that FC thought I had a right to be.

See they sent us a Paxton belt kit which FC had to totally redesign to fit and all along they said it was correct! Jamie told me to keep in touch and let them know all the specs so they can pass it on to other customers to make sure they have no future problems. I told him he could kiss my ---! You get the idea. I hope their ready I'm going to fly out there next week and have planned a whole day to do nothing but explain how stupid their ads are along with the whole dam tech dept!!!!!!

One thing I can promise is I'm going to ruin a bunch of peoples day! At some point someone has to say if you advertise this it has to do it! I'm taking with me a law suit filed in Adams county for damages in excess of $50,000 which is how we have to do it for misleading advertising. We are asking for $500,000 just to get their attention. I'm willing to bet you see some ad changes in about 60-90 days and I fly back with a lot of free parts.

John
Old 01-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

What really ticks me off is all the BS from Vortech/Paxton Their the same company but come off as their not. I talked to a tech there Friday his name was Jamie and if you happen to get him just hang yourself it would be less painfull then talking to this idiot. I ask about the 575hp car in road and track that Vortech bragged about and was told it was an employees car and he had sold it. I ask what they did for the T trim for injectors /pumps and so on his reply was well we didn't write it down and the car is gone so I just don't know.

So I ask how do you guys sleep at night putting out this BS about 450 hp bolt on S trim kit for the GT and got told well we don't control the ads! He told me most make 400 plus at the flywheel and in an auto deducted 30 %! What BS!!!!!!!!! Oddly enough he ask if this was John from AirFoil Aviation and I said yes, he told me that FC had contacted him several times and he was told to get ready for a pissed off customer and that FC thought I had a right to be.

See they sent us a Paxton belt kit which FC had to totally redesign to fit and all along they said it was correct! Jamie told me to keep in touch and let them know all the specs so they can pass it on to other customers to make sure they have no future problems. I told him he could kiss my ---! You get the idea. I hope their ready I'm going to fly out there next week and have planned a whole day to do nothing but explain how stupid their ads are along with the whole dam tech dept!!!!!!

One thing I can promise is I'm going to ruin a bunch of peoples day! At some point someone has to say if you advertise this it has to do it! I'm taking with me a law suit filed in Adams county for damages in excess of $50,000 which is how we have to do it for misleading advertising. We are asking for $500,000 just to get their attention. I'm willing to bet you see some ad changes in about 60-90 days and I fly back with a lot of free parts.

John
Do you have an 05 gt? You seem pretty angry. What is your main gripe? I'm trying to understand why you are so mad.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:29 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Birdieman4

John
Do you have an 05 gt?
lol have you read his threads?
Old 01-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I guess my question to Airfoil is, who tuned your car? That's the reason you bent a rod. (Unless it was defective)
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

Yes I have an 05 GT the yellow one pictured about 5 posts up and I own a Yellow GT40 just purchased. You are incorrect I have the dyno sheets and the orginal tune was what came from Vortech "COMPLETE KIT" in the kit. This as advertised would push you to 450 plus HP. It actually makes about 340rwhp. When the shop called Vortech they told us we were getting some of the highest numbers they had heard of. Kinda ODD I think. So if you ignore the ad you will have to spend about $6,000 more and when you do reach 400 plus rwhp well you can see the rod.

Vortech is now asking us questions on what we used to get the dyno numbers we are running and how the car is working out. They don't have a clue! No FC can tune a car. Hell you can watch it on the screen and see the boost /HP/Fuel and never did we run short on fuel and the exhaust temp actually was low.

I like the Mustang and if you advertise this is what you will get and we fly in a Ford Tech and offered to fly in a Votech Tech for free which they declined it should do it! The Ford tech did come down and was a bunch of help on things. We had a cam timing sensor problem and he figured out a way to over come that with the Ford racing heads.

To hit a true 450rwhp you will have $12,000 plus in the motor , not $4,500 and run 340-360rwhp. The ads are a joke just most won't push them.

John
Old 01-22-2006, 06:12 PM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Lastly is gas - although gas alone is not going to save your engine, it is essential that you 'pad the cushion' so to speak. The more HP I make on this 3V, the higher the octane I run. On my 521 rwhp race tune, I run C16 (114 octane) and my daily driver tune (460 rwhp) even gets VP110 mixed with premium gas for a 94-95 octane. A lot of guys don't remove their cats when making big power jumps and then have to run on much lower octane which makes for a recipe for destruction when they start pushing that motor. Even when my race tune was 481 rwhp - I ran straight VP110 when I used the tune. Also ounderstand that there is ALWAYS a risk and be prepared for that risk when making your decisions. I have said before and I'll say it again - I am building a new engine and if I wasn't - I would not even be at the HP I am now. I would not be pushing the stock bottom end so hard if it was all I had in the dugout.

so from other information i've read if you keep the cats and try and push high octane through it it burns out the o2 sensors and drops the car into safe mode? so with my headers i should order a off road xpipe?

i'm planning a Kenne Bell, and have a final goal of 600hp

does the 302 forged stroker kit allow for a lower octane because of the lowered compression? whats it change it to? 9:1? 8:1?
Old 01-22-2006, 07:07 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

Mines a 9.0 stroker and no you can run the X pipe with the cats which are straight through with no problems. Just never run leaded fuel or you will plug them up. Look in 5.0 Muastang magazine there's a company that sells better 02 sensors which is what I have. Mine will run on 93 octaine but we are pushing a lot of fuel at the top. The 600rwhp might be a problem. With everything we have done its now a great 600hp street motor or cross country car. That's a big big number to hit. I run Ford racing header then had a custom exhaust made from 3 1/2" stainless all the way back to the mufflers.

At 8.0 and say 11lbs. of boost on a stroker on pump gas with everything I have done I would guess you would fall in at about 480-500rwhp.

Good Luck.

John
Old 01-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You are incorrect I have the dyno sheets and the orginal tune was what came from Vortech "COMPLETE KIT" in the kit. This as advertised would push you to 450 plus HP.
Did Vortech just include a chip with the kit? Did you hurt the rod running 340 rwhp?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:57 PM
airfoil
I ♥ Acer

No the kit comes with the diablo programer which is great. It has the custom Vortech tune installed to upload into the Mustang. Blew the first motor when at 300 mile and dynoing at about 340rwhp the blower went out and we all know what that means. So we have motor two and talking to Votech they said go to the 8 ribbed pulley set for another $1400 dollars and the 3.13 pulley so we did. Tuning is not a problem as these guys can nail it perfect. DID what Vortech said but also why the motor was out changed to Ford racing headers and custom exhaust all the way back. Here's my bitch the 450hp advertised was 340hp so the motors back togather with the 8 ribbed kit and it goes to the dyno. We did hit 400 plus for about 30 seconds then the rod bent. So we are at motor number 3. Decided to do what was posted above and for you guys that haven't broken one yet once you break 500rwhp the belt tensioners just break into in about 100 miles. There is a company and I will get their name cncing tensioners which should be used on all over 400 hp motors if you don't want to sit along side the road.

The problem to me is if a guy wants to spend $4500 and buy the Vortech kit he will have a fast car at around 340-350rwhp. Doesn't have to go to a tuning pro shop and will be happy until he meets one built like it should be at 500 plus rwhp then he will think his car is broke. Vortech told me to hit 179.00mph in a mile 1/2 they iced the cooler run 116 octaine and the motor had racing heads, porting was built to run. They make it sound like it was a stock motor on a S trim blower but hardly. This was in road and track 2005 sept. issue. It was a car shoot out.

John
Old 01-23-2006, 03:03 PM
gt6974a
1st Gear Member

Well someone should explain boost vs hp as different types of systems will give you different types of power..... and be more or less harmful on your engine.

Quick Reply: Why some engines blow at 400 HP