Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

black box???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 08:56 AM
AirborneCZ
2nd Gear Member

Default black box???

i just finished reading owner's manual and was wondering about this "black box" that is said to save ride data
that can be retrieved for post crash investigation purposes...incl speed etc...
is it true, are those really mounted in 05 stangs? and where and how do they look or is it part of onboard computer?
and if yes, can it be removed?
[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: black box???

Why would you want it removed? Plan on causing a lot of accidents?
Old 01-26-2006, 12:48 PM
757GT
I ♥ Acer

Yes it is in there, alot of new cars have these.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
jc63_
2nd Gear Member

Maybe doesn't want the 5-0 seeing that he did 150 mph all the time... [sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the world of Big Brother, brother. It is the ECU itself, yes it should be able to be read to indicate operating parameters (including rpm and speed) for the past x minutes of operation, and yes I would expect that it could be subpeonaed and submitted as evidence in a lawsuit and perhaps a criminal investigation.

Sure it can be removed, but only if you want to make your car into a lawn ornament.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:40 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

Had this same question come up about my Dodge Magnum and if your owners manual talks about a data recorder box that is what it is.
I did some research and my hubbys 05 stang has it too. It records the seconds before the airbag actually deploys at impact. It records your speed, whether traction control was working, steering information ect.......it said in my research is that it only records in the case of a airbag deployment and it is attached in some way to the airbag system. You cannot remove it.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:20 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I did not think that is was solely related to airbag deployment since this is the same data that is used to diagnose engine and emissions problems.....

But, as with anytime I opine, I could be wrong.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:32 PM
SeanoStang
4th Gear Member

wow! ive never heard of such a thing but i think its a fabulous idea. its a very good investment as long as ur not doin stupid stuff like flyin down freeways and causing destruction. im happy to know that my car has a recorder box in it so it can be known what went wrong.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:43 PM
stangmomasc
2nd Gear Member

Well all I know is what I found out when I researched the data recorder in my car. It is under the passenger seat in my Magnum.
Hubby didn't really care so he hasn't researched where his is. Its actually called a event data recorder(EDR) it is designed to record up to 2 seconds of specific vehicle data prior to the moment of airbag deployments. It says it ONLY records if the airbag deploys.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:12 PM
Scott P
2nd Gear Member

Many new cars have them. The paranoid folks out there always want to take them out. They offer very useful information in the event of an accident. Think of it this way; If you were involved in an accident that was the other person's fault, wouldn't you want data to demonstrate that?

It's the people that get into an accident when they were doing 150 mph at night in the rain with nothing but parking lights on that tend to want to hide the evidence and not take responsibility.

Quick Reply: black box???