Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why hold back so much power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Mustang7302

Default RE: Why hold back so much power?

If you want more, then you should have bought an '03 Cobra or held out for the new GT500. If you want to compair trucks, then you need to look at the second generation Lightnings or Ram SRT-10's. The point is, it's all about marketing. You can not offer just one modle to be the best there is period. Some people dont want all out performance, some people dont want high insurance rates, some people would like to get a good gas mileage all the while they drive a car they would like to have. Not all of the classic muscle cars built with high output big blocks; infact most of those are considerably rarer than the other normal production cars. The roots of our beloved Mustangs started with a fairly weak in-line six! It wasn't untill '66 when Ford even offered a v8 option.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:37 PM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

So you're upset your 65.2hp/L motor isn't a 57.9hp/L motor? Completely ignoring the fact that this is the most efficient, highest rated stock V8 in the history of the horse. Efficiency that is only surpassed by the Z-series Corvettes in the realm of the V8. It even surpasses most run of the mill smaller displacement I4s and V6s.

The Honda S2000 gets 107.7hp/L... so you're right, Ford kinda screwed up, but your logic is backwards.

Just be glad it isn't a 3400cc Pontiac V6 that makes 48.5hp/L.

So, while there is no replacement for displacement, there is no veneering engineering. I'm glad Americans finally are catching up with the rest of the world. And that's why this is the first American car I've ever owned, or even seriously contemplated buying.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:39 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

Well in my humble opinion I believe with more power comes more money to handle it. I don't believe it would cost that much more in dollar figures to jump from 3, 4, to even 500 hp engines but look at the Vette or even the SC Saleen, your talking $58k and $65k[] but you pay for that suspension and handling.
For the general public I think they did a great job with the GT but for the bigger engines there still in it for the money...

p.s I believe the base model "no frills" was $24,995

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/9A2341FF651849BB8F2C9F2EF1B5C76E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 PM
2005MustangGtGuy
2nd Gear Member

The 4.6 motor in these cars is plenty powerful for the money. Just take a 05/06 GT for a test drive and I think you'll agree. As was mentioned, there really isn't much competition for the mustang yet. Sure there are more powerful cars out there, better handling cars, etc..but none that are in the mustangs price range. By 2009, we are looking the possibilty of a 400+ horsepower camaro and the return of the challenger, so, Im sure down the road the 5.4 or some other motor will be used..maybe even supercharge the 4.6 like they did the 03/04 cobras who knows
Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 PM
ghost63

Steve's GT - yup. My point was more of a theory thing with the M6, but you're absolutely right. Then again, theory kind of goes out the window when it doesn't work. Best point you made - Ford does indeed own the whole orchard right now! If they're holding a reserve to avoid an all out remake to respond to the Camaro or whatever Dodge might come up with, good on 'em. I hope it happens, I think it would benefit us all. FWIW, I live in Florida too so AWD isn't a major player yet, but I won't be living here forever.

7302 - I only really disagree with one part, and that's about the market. I think people who buy the Mustang GT put much priority on insurance, nor do they put all out performance very far from the top. But I'm not saying what should or shouldn't be done - just wondering what you guys thought and was interested in the discussion. I know the ins-and-outs of motorcycles better than cars, but I think the car industry as a whole is fascinating! All in all, Ford has to be doing something right. They've hit a grand slam, overall, with this generation Mustang!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:20 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

I think in the future Ford needs a third tier production mustang. The cobras come and go, but we need something in between the GT and Cobra that sees production every year. I say put in a modified version of the aluminum 5.4 block in the GT and leave it NA........should be in the 400 to 410hp range. Or build a next gen 302 (or 304) making similar power. If they wanna play it el-cheapo..then go ahead and give us an uncharged version of the GT500 5.4......again, making somewhere in the 400hp range. This third tier mustang may need a new badge.....as "Boss" and "Mach 1" are considered specialty stangs. Call it the Mustang FR (throwing one out of my head), price it around 30K or so, and watch the public gobble it up. There's a whole slew of stang customers out there, myself included, that would be glad to pay extra $$$ to have a 400HP NA engine mustang that is a step beyond the GT. And if the Camaro does indeed rise from the ashes in 08 or 09 or whatever, Ford will need something comparable to keep up with it.........as I'd be willing to bet GM will make SURE its new Camaro variations roll out the door with more HP than their mustang counterparts (well, except maybe for the GT500. I don't see GM pushing an SS version to the 500hp mark).
I for one was disappointed not to see the Mach 1 name emerge again with the new mustang bodies......I would have gotten that over a GT any day of the week. But, doesn't look like we'll see any affordable performance in the mustangs outside of the GT for the next 3 or 4 years......but at least we do have the largest aftermarket of any car in production[sm=happy046.gif]. Guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:51 AM
Stckman
2nd Gear Member

for me, its simple... gas prices.. mpg.. engine wear/life we as consumers should be allowed to have the option and if we wanna go bigger we can thru aftermarket... besides... its in the after market we can customize to make our own original machine...

ive got the v6 stang which (by your standards) is like 8hp to the rear wheeL afterall is said and done... but i like thelook of the car... andi know people still look at it anyway... now ifi wanted a faster ride id spend the bucks... but at the prices when i wanted my car.... if the GT ws the only one that was available i probably would have to buy something else... yeah i know its only 5k but thats another year in payments and thats also no fuzzy dice or Calvins peeing on bowties...

I think they want the cars to be accessible to every type of driver... thats why the shelby is coming out 2 years later... cause its not for everyone. I think its good marketing to control that sorta thing.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 AM
Hiboost
2nd Gear Member

That would not be the first time Mazada screwed up...they had to buy back some RX-8s and/or refund $$ because the cars had less hp than first advertised...

I to had a WRX and it was great...BTW to launch, you had to constantly feather the throttle up and down and then ride the clutch like you were trying to lauch a motorcycle and hope you didn't get it to hot for an awesome spleen splitting take off...
Old 02-16-2006, 01:48 AM
domesticfan
3rd Gear Member

I'm not so sure ford isn't sandbagging the current 4.6L engine a little bit in order to be able to bump it up to say 315 -320hp to keep the demand up within the next two model years, when competition heats up.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:41 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I think that ford needs to offer more engine options for this car, just like the days that this car is based on. Maybe a 4.6 for the base GT. but for $5K more, you could get the unsupercharged 5.4 w/ about 400hp. Then the top of the line would be the cobra, at a $45K price tag base, with the supercharger and 485 hp(and better suspension). Could maybe even offer a blown V6 at the $23K mark at about 260hp just to give more options.
I would definately have paid about $31K for a GT with close to vette hp nubers, maybe $36K for the vert.

Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Why hold back so much power?