Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touch-Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 10:34 PM
RUNVUS

Default Touch-Up Paint

Anyone used the Touch-Up paint on their car yet? I noticed a couple "spots" today while I was washing My Stang and was thinking about getting some. Any special ways to use the stuff?

Also, has ayone ever put a "bra" on their car? Is this a good idea? It seems like it could cause more problems than it's worth.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:22 PM
RabidCharlie
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Touch-Up Paint

I used the touch up paint that i ordered from the local ford dealer for my lime GT. I tested one of my small spots on the rear fender just to see how it turns out. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out so good. I used the applicator brush that came with the paint. I'm wondering if I should have done something different. For now, I haven't used it on my other areas that need some touchup unti I find out more.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:05 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

just an opinion-

even if globbed on with a brush, it will still seal the paint. some basecoat/clearcoat cars used water based basecoat(my camaro did)- many manufacturesrs are going to this paint due to epa regs, and while its not bad, it has to be clearcoated. my camaro got a couple scratches, stone chips, next thing you know it was peeling up like tape. that was a 1985 car, imagine newer paints are better, but still- the basecoat is not weather resistant, and if moisture gets under it, you could have bigger issues than a little mismatch.

On my mark VII,(but it is white) back when it was looking better years ago, I touched up chips with both the litle brush on stuff from the dealer, and with spraying spots with factory paint...really couldnt tell the difference. How I did it was fill the chip, building enough thickness to get it above the clearcoat, then using 1000 grit wet paper on a rubber block, sand it smooth(small as possible area as it scuffs up the clear), then repolish it out. only thing is, that clear is not all that thick, and if you go thru youll have a ugly mess to repaint. bigger areas, I did the same way, then sprayed some clear over and sanded with ultrafine to blend edge away, and polished- but again like I said it was a white car.

IF (when) I need to touch up my vista blue hood, I will probably do the same as then, but I will expect a speck of a different color to remain afterwards, as metallic touchup colors will never match- especially if sanded at all...still in my opinion better than a chance of water getting under causing bigger pieces of paint to lift/chip away. if weather bad/no time, I would dab a bit of the wifes clear nail polish on a chip immediately just as a short term sealing thing.

Those tapelike 'invisible bra' films that Ive seen look just made for that flat hood edge to prevent stone chips...3m also sells a race only 'tearoff' layered windshield film- I'm seriously thinking of getting some (although not approved for street use) and just coating with 'rain-x'...I have heard these windshields are for some reason very prone to sand/stone chipping...several guys mentioned the tiny pitted sand marks, and that sucks on a sunny day...my 150,000 mile mark VII has a sand pitted windshield, and it really glares in low sun.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
RUNVUS

Thanks, I appreciate the information and your opinion!
Old 02-21-2006, 07:01 PM
girliemustang
1st Gear Member

I have used it with no problems.. Should be ok. Just don't gob it on.

girliemustang

[IMG]local://upfiles/26135/AD60489AA6A6469EA10331E3801DBE31.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-22-2006, 01:18 AM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

I bought this chip repair kit and used it with the factory touchup paint. http://www.autogeek.net/langka-paint...epair-kit.html I tested it out on my F150 first but didn't get the results I was hoping for. I'm not sure I'll try it on my Mustang. Both my F150 and Mustang GT are black.