Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Stripes - Paint or Vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

First off, that silver on black looks really nice.

Okay, I just ordered the over the top white stripes on my GT from the factory. This is white over Kona Blue. I havent seen the car (wont be here for 9 weeks) but I am sure it will be vinyl and not paint.

A couple of questions:

1. Why are most getting the stripes after rather than from Ford factory?

2. Are they vinyl from factory? I am sure they must be?

3. Given that they build the mustang at like 25 cars an hour or so (guess on speed but that is about normal in a factory), how in world does Ford get the stripes on at the factory so that they are straight and no bubbles, etc?

4. Isnt the clear coat usually put on during the paint process? How do they clear coat the stripes which must be added later?

Thoughts?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Got an estimate today for $1500, sanded even, painted and clearcoated. I'm going to get another quote next week from another place in town that does a lot of street rods/customs.

I guess I have the stripe fever!
Way to shop.

And the beauty with paint, the stripes can be any color you want, in flat, pearl or metallic.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by rogotiz3
Your stripes look real clean!!! I wish I could afford to paint mine! I went with vinyl's because of pricing. I do worry about the vinyl stripes getting stripped due to washes but you get what you pay for it.
thank you....you have the flat black ones dont you?......looks killer and the vinyls should last for 5-7 yrs with no issues and basic maintenance. I just could not justify putting vinyls on a C-series kit....if I did not have the kit I would have gotten vinyls....its a matter of personal preference and if you have the funds to get them painted.....no money no paint...
Originally Posted by FastDEW
First off, that silver on black looks really nice.

Okay, I just ordered the over the top white stripes on my GT from the factory. This is white over Kona Blue. I havent seen the car (wont be here for 9 weeks) but I am sure it will be vinyl and not paint.

A couple of questions:

1. Why are most getting the stripes after rather than from Ford factory?
What did Ford charge you to get them? Many want a change after they buy the car without having them from the factory...tastes change

2. Are they vinyl from factory? I am sure they must be?
Yes they are....they wont paint them as it would raise the cost of the car IMO substantially.

3. Given that they build the mustang at like 25 cars an hour or so (guess on speed but that is about normal in a factory), how in world does Ford get the stripes on at the factory so that they are straight and no bubbles, etc?
after the car is made they go down the line to have the stripes applied....thats all they do and some of the guys are real good at installing them (had lots of practice).....I am sure there are many that were not happy with the stripe install....I think they use a template of some sort...I used to work a a finishing plant and the trucks I saw done were attacked by many workers on the same truck.

4. Isnt the clear coat usually put on during the paint process? How do they clear coat the stripes which must be added later?
The stripes (if vinyl) sit on top of the clear coat from the factory.

If your talking about painted stripes then they sand the area to be painted.....mask off the stripes....apply paint color....then remove and blend in the stripes with car color with many clear coats and some wetsanding....and maybe another coat of clear.....just depends on the painter. Pascal owns his own shop and is now a moderator on here and can help out when he gets back in a couple of weeks!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

mygt500, those stripes look killer! (As does your whole car). I'm definitely getting mine painted. I want to get some sort of pearl/metallic silver and of course the clear coat. The shine on yours in that one pic where the sign is reflected...just awesome.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:34 PM
OhioState87
2nd Gear Member

Not to hijack, but what is a general price to pay for getting stripes installed?
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
mygt500, those stripes look killer! (As does your whole car). I'm definitely getting mine painted. I want to get some sort of pearl/metallic silver and of course the clear coat. The shine on yours in that one pic where the sign is reflected...just awesome.
Thanks...its appreciated! I wish I had more pics showing that kind of reflections....that was a 12 MP camara that was used for the online article I have by Patrick (Demon340- ADMIN) of the site and he got some great pics that day.....It has high noon and the sun was bright......pics I was told are best 15 min before sun set and sunrise.....esp for black or dark colors....not the expert but I was pleased...that was after one yr and no new coat of wax! I just got done detailing her and the paint is now a deeper darker black with great reflections.....thanks again....you wont regret the painted stripes
Old 10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
TrickyRic
1st Gear Member

Mine a 3M vinyl metallic silver. If I had the bucks I would have done paint...you really can't beat paint, but out of my budget.

Mine cost $550 total, Labor and materials. If I would have gotten them done via the Dealer they would have cost $895 and would have been done by the same shop using the same materials...the difference was all dealer profit.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:25 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

OK, I've got an appt to have mine painted next Monday. I'm dead set on super snake stripes (1", 1" gap, 16", 1" gap, 1") and think I'm still going for silver. But seeing this '08, black looks darn good. Course my car is Sterling Grey.

Can anybody photoshop this car grey? I'll buy you a virtual beer or three...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...on-pg-3-a.html