Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:20 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Default Stripes

When I ordered my Mustang I got the OTT stripe which isn't what was on the web site and I don't really like it. I am looking into getting two stripes that run the whole length of the car instead of the one wide one that stops at the hood. Has anyone had any experience with having stripes removed? I don't want any damge to the paint etc. Also I wasnt to explore other options besides the dealers "stripe guy". Who does stripes and does anyone know of a quality place in the Savannah area?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:13 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I would take to a shop that does custom work and have removed professionally, IMO
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

On a new car the stripes will come off SUPER easy. Just start picking at it on a corner and just peel back slowly. To make things easier you can let it sit in the sun for a few minutes before you start, but it should be a breeze. The glue is still fresh so it wont to any damage to the paint, as long as you peel back at an angle and do it slowly.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

This is Ford's F#@k Up and they have had almost an entire year now to fix it on their website...and they have not. You did not get what you paid for. Take it back to Ford and have them fix it for you. Why should you have to shell out a few grand to fix their mistake??? I wouldn't, but that is just my .02 cents.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 PM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by robinsonda1
When I ordered my Mustang I got the OTT stripe which isn't what was on the web site and I don't really like it. I am looking into getting two stripes that run the whole length of the car instead of the one wide one that stops at the hood. Has anyone had any experience with having stripes removed? I don't want any damge to the paint etc. Also I wasnt to explore other options besides the dealers "stripe guy". Who does stripes and does anyone know of a quality place in the Savannah area?
Take it to a professional. It's very easy if you know what you are doing (they use a hairdryer or something). No marks or scratches.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AZ MSCL
Take it to a professional. It's very easy if you know what you are doing (they use a hairdryer or something). No marks or scratches.
Naw, I'm not a pro and I've done it. I took the sticker name badges of my truck and it was super easy. I started with a hair dryer and immediately put it aside cause I didn't need it. They peel off just like scotch tape. My truck took more work cause I had to buff the paint afterwards to get rid of the ghosting. The difference is the ones on my truck were on for a few years so you get wax build up around the edges which you have to remove. On a brand new car, you probably wont even need to do that.

I do agree that if it's a FORD screw up, they should have it done at no charge to you. Talk to the sales manager and see what they'll do for you.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 PM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
Naw, I'm not a pro and I've done it. I took the sticker name badges of my truck and it was super easy. I started with a hair dryer and immediately put it aside cause I didn't need it. They peel off just like scotch tape. My truck took more work cause I had to buff the paint afterwards to get rid of the ghosting. The difference is the ones on my truck were on for a few years so you get wax build up around the edges which you have to remove. On a brand new car, you probably wont even need to do that.

I do agree that if it's a FORD screw up, they should have it done at no charge to you. Talk to the sales manager and see what they'll do for you.
Well, I've never tried it so I play it safe. I think it also depends on the type of decal material used.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:14 AM
robinsonda1
2nd Gear Member

Well I won't be taking them off myself, whoever installs the new stripes will remove the old ones. It will either be the dealer or a stripe shop and that way they will be liable for any any damage done. I am going to try to get the dealer to pay $395 toward the purchase of the new set.