Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

tail light covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0_Coyote_GT
All the covers look good. However what about being able to see the tail lights at night and the same issue for the head lights at night with these covers? Do the covers block a lot of the light? What about Johnny Law and these covers? Anyone know?
Thanks,
Phil
my lights are still VERY bright at night. so bright, there is no way anyone would think that it has covers at night. in the daytime they are also still bright enough as well. they do not black out the lenses, just tint them a little darker. enough light still gets through that i HIGHLY doubt youd have any problems with the law. ive driven about 10k miles since i put them on and have never had a problem whatsoever. most people just think i got new taillights
Old 12-04-2010, 08:32 AM
discodave
4th Gear Member

I had mine sprayed. It looks cleaner when it's finished and lasts longer. I tried the tinting film from American Muscle and it didn't cover the entire light properly. If you do get them sprayed, have them block out the reverse light portion. Throw some LED reverse lights in there and you're golden. Like others have said, there are no issues at all if you get them tinted / sprayed properly and don't go too dark. Here's a shot of mine. During the day and at night they are still VERY bright when the lights come on. I get lots of compliments at night also:

Old 12-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

Discodave, god I love your car! good choice on spraying the tails. I'm glad i sprayed mine as well much better look. The covers look tacky as hell
Old 12-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Shadow_Chaser
1st Gear Member

What type/brand of spray did you guys use on your tail lights?
Old 12-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

I had mine professionally sprayed by a guy who does awesome Airbrush paint jobs on cars
Old 12-04-2010, 03:38 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shadow_Chaser
What type/brand of spray did you guys use on your tail lights?
I painted mine as well using VHT nightshade. Wouldn't think twice about doing it again. Just follow the basic paint tips and it will come out smooth as glass and look factory. Good thing about the paint is you can wet sand it until you get the exact level of tint you want. With covers and tint you can't darken or lighten them to your liking. All three options work well in getting the end results just different ways of getting there.

It one of those personal decisions you have to make as I really don't think one is "better" than the other. Just different taste in darkness and level of difficulty in installing.

Covers - No brainer to install
Tint - A little effort to make sure it sticks and doesn't get bubbles
Paint - Need to have some basic painting skills or have a pro do it unless you want orange peal on your lights ;-)

Couple pics of mine below.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
5.0_Coyote_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iceguyb14
my lights are still VERY bright at night. so bright, there is no way anyone would think that it has covers at night. in the daytime they are also still bright enough as well. they do not black out the lenses, just tint them a little darker. enough light still gets through that i HIGHLY doubt youd have any problems with the law. ive driven about 10k miles since i put them on and have never had a problem whatsoever. most people just think i got new taillights
Thanks Jeff. I was not sure how much light would be blocked. Sounds like they will work out fine. Now where is my charge card...?

LOL!!!
Phil