Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Body shop said HID kit will take 2 hours?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 AM
Khleov6
1st Gear Member

Default Body shop said HID kit will take 2 hours?

So I bought http://www.venomousstangz.net/index....roducts_id=149

My car is a 2010 v6

Body shop said it will take 2 hours because they have to remove my front end, I really dont think it takes that long, I could do it by myself but they forgot the instructions, I just emailed them 10 mins. ago

Last edited by Khleov6; 03-05-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Khleov6
So I bought http://www.venomousstangz.net/index....roducts_id=149

My car is a 2010 v6

Body shop said it will take 2 hours because they have to remove my front end, I really dont think it takes that long, I could do it by myself but they forgot the instructions, I just emailed them 10 mins. ago
they are idiots. it took me two hours to install the heads and fogs while shooting pics and messing around. the front end doenst have to come off. you can DIY with basic hand tools and a bit of time. just pop the radiator cover off and you can reach everything you need to do the job.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Siber Express
3rd Gear Member

One hour tops, change out the bulbs, mount the Ballast under the Air cleaner on the left with Double sided tape, in about the same location on the right, plug it in.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:18 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

This is why I install stuff myself. The automotive industry is not an honest one.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

Yeah it's a real easy job. Are you dealing with Dante from Venomous stangs? He is a little slow but keep with him he gets things done in the end.

I just fitted the kit to both my headlights and fogs and my body kit is more awkward than stock and took me about 40 mins for both..... And that was while chatting to a friend, drinking beer and smoking a cig! I had to remove my CAI to gain access to one of the lights along with other stuff.

Do it yourself, you will feel more connected to your car and proud of the work you have done when you switch on the lights..... Plus more money in your pocket.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 AM
Khleov6
1st Gear Member

Does anyone have online instruction manual for mine? Because I want to do it today, instead of waiting for him to send the manual
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
elmo3000
2nd Gear Member

Try this..... See if this helps

http://www.hidguy.net/index.php?main...oducts_id=1155
Old 03-05-2011, 10:15 AM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

you guys are being a little harsh on shops. yes it might take only an hour to do, but its not like we can just drop what we are doing to add parts to your car wile you wait. i can see if they are charging two hours to do a simple install, but thats a whole other story. they could be telling you that because they never installed one, or dont even want the job. when i do stuff at home for others i allways over estimate just in case i come into a problem and adjust from there. but my times not cheap either. also they could be charging you for any extra wire or connectors that dont come with some kits. if you were to come to me and say i got this aftermarket part, no instructions and you want me to warrinty my install, i would charge time to find the instructions to. anyway wile i dont mined the work, i have more respect for those that bite the bullit and install there own parts. instead of wining about witch shop did this and that and ripped me off.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
natecydoubleg
1st Gear Member

Takes about 15 minute, if u don't have to take off the radiator cover then 5...
Old 03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by outastockjohn
you guys are being a little harsh on shops. yes it might take only an hour to do, but its not like we can just drop what we are doing to add parts to your car wile you wait. i can see if they are charging two hours to do a simple install, but thats a whole other story. they could be telling you that because they never installed one, or dont even want the job. when i do stuff at home for others i allways over estimate just in case i come into a problem and adjust from there. but my times not cheap either. also they could be charging you for any extra wire or connectors that dont come with some kits. if you were to come to me and say i got this aftermarket part, no instructions and you want me to warrinty my install, i would charge time to find the instructions to. anyway wile i dont mined the work, i have more respect for those that bite the bullit and install there own parts. instead of wining about witch shop did this and that and ripped me off.
While that's understandable, the problem is that when the shop (and i'm sure many times they do....) finishes ahead of their estimated time, they should charge the customer for the actual time spent. The problem with that is rarely does that ever happen. Also, googling the internet for installation instructions for most parts doesn't take long at all. Add 10 minutes max for that.

You're doing what most mechanics love to do, over exaggerating the variety of things you have to do even for a simple change.

Quick Reply: Body shop said HID kit will take 2 hours?