Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Opinions on Rims/ideas

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

No not ASE certified, Ford has there own Tech training and they prefer you have that, I went to Lincoln Tech after high school and my dealer saw that as enough when I applied and I've been going to school here and there whenever they send me. I've been there 2 years now and gotta say I love it and I'm 22 now but since I've been working on cars in high school autoshop about 6 years now the trade has changed a lot and its a tough trade, especially with all the electronics in the cars now like the Ford MyTouch Sync is crazy
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

And being a Tech is beyond expensive! In the past 2 years I must have spent atleast 15k on tools and a snap-on box!! Imagine what I could be doing if I didn't need to buy tools but what can I say I love what I do
Old 10-17-2011, 08:12 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by acquah20
I don't know how I feel about black rims. This is beyond stressful. I feel like rims can make or break a car

Yeah...I've been stressing out over it myself! Ultimately I just took the plunge and decided on the FRPP black track pack wheels...I'll let you know how it turns out. Until then I just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope that black wheels will look good on my car.

The problem I have with the RTR and SVE drift wheels (besides the fact that EVERYONE and their mother is putting them on their Mustangs now) is that they are wider than I'd like. The 9" width is about perfect for me because I can go with a 'factory' 245/45-19 size on all fours or put 275/40-19 on back for a staggered setup. 9.5" rims are too wide for the 245/45 and 8.5 too narrow for the 275/40.

If you can stomach black (they do look good on the white cars I've seen) the FRPP track pack wheels are a good deal $$...and you can choose your own tires (another stressful decision!).

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ck-Pack-Wheels

Last edited by STANGmole; 10-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:18 PM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

I saw the black track pack wheels at late model. They look really glossy to me and I agree about the RTR wheels, on some cars they stick out the fenderwell too much in some pics that also has me nervous and with the track pack I know they'll be a perfect fit especially since i've seen them in person. It really is super stressful and my stupid blue stripe that I showed in one of my pics isn't helping at all.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:55 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

They are really glossy.

What I've learned though; is that to get away with the flat black you need a bright color...or a really dark color...or a complete race car that's lowered with stripes and flash. Otherwise you end up looking like the next door neighbor's 16 year old kid's Honda that has flat black wheels with the hubcaps removed...or in the case of a white car, a police cruiser. Flat black tends to wash-out from a distance and all you see is a black blob with no detail.

With the gloss black it's more like a 'black chrome' in the way it picks up light reflections. You can see the wheel's details and it looks somewhat nice, expensive, or intentional instead of a rattle-can paintjob.

I'm not saying I don't like the flat black wheels...you just have to get the right combo of car and rims; definitely a stressful choice. Like I said, the RTR or knock-off RTRs are great looking but you're stuck buying wide tires for all four wheels.

I'm not trying to burn on your car or anything, but yeah....the ones on your car are possibly the only late-model factory Ford Mustang wheels that I dislike and the blue stripe with Mustang GT isn't helping either (like we couldn't have guessed it was a Mustang or known it was a GT by the badge direcly above it ;-) ) I think new wheels and stripe removal (or replacement with a plain black stripe with no text) would be a huge improvement to your car's appearance. There's a thread on one of the Mustang sites (maybe this one??) where there are pics of a white car with different wheels. The wheels were originally changed to aftermarket black wheels but then changed to silver because the owner didn't like black wheels on a white car. FWIW, I thought out of all the wheels that the black looked the best so it's definitely a PERSONAL choice.

The takeoff silver brembo wheels are cool but you're always stuck buying them with the Pirellis. I'd rather have a different size tire (GT premium factory 245/45-19) to fill out the stock ride height wheel well with a wider profile and match my speedometer and don't care to pay for expensive summer tires with poor treadwear. My car is a daily driver that sees lots of rain and occasionally cold temperatures.

Two things the black brembo track pack wheels have going for them is you know they'll fit properly without vibration because they're a Ford wheel, and you can use your existing Mustang center caps. Also, there's the obvious (they fit with Brembo brakes).

I'll post pics of my car in another week or two when the wheels and tires arrive and are installed.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:08 AM
StangisSwag
2nd Gear Member

really not feeling these rims anymore!! definitely not Ford's best thinking of wheels on a Stang
dude lucky you! i rather like your wheels, just look at the crap ford barfed up on my stang!
Old 10-18-2011, 12:12 AM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

I love what I do
I hope to say that one day after I graduate. Congrats to you!

Do you know where I can find a list of Ford Tech schools? I'd like to check it out. I'm torn between the collision repair and mechanical repair but so far I'm leaning towards collision.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 AM
goodfun_gt
2nd Gear Member

And you should def remove that blue stripe, like right now, stop reading, get up and go remove it lol
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 AM
acquah20
1st Gear Member

This is beyond stressful! I dont mind the pirelli's and being that they come with summer tires that doesn't bother me considering I'm in jersey and I'm not really going anywhere in the snow or dumb enough to even try it. I do love the look of the RTR's but it's absolutely true that everyone and their mother on this site seems to be getting them and I personally like being unique/different.

As far as my stripe it would have come off a long time ago but I'm a little scared to remove it b/c I'm scared your still gonna still be able to see it due to fade and I wanna put black racing vinyls bumper to bumper, talk about a dilemma!!!

I can see if I can find the info for school at work today but when I was getting into this trade my father begged me to get into the whole body work thing since we use to own a body shop but imo I just didn't the ye for it and there is literally no room for error in body work and I'm hang out at the old body shop sometimes that we use to own with the new owner and the shop is just covered in dust and breathing that junk in everyday has got to suck. I might not have the cleanest job out there but I can atleast do side work in my driveway as well if I really wanted to. Just some thought about collision work
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 AM
Warpig12354
3rd Gear Member

RTR rims aren't over 2K for JUST the rims, they are a little over 2K for the wheels and tires. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...l-And-Tire-Kit Just thought I'd throw this out there.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Rims/ideas