Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Expensive lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:57 AM
D00m3dHitm4n
1st Gear Member

Default Expensive lesson learned

2 weeks ago I ordered a Trufiber Venom Hood from Americanmuscle.com for my 2012 Mustang GT. 2 days later when i realised it still wasn't getting fully approved and shipped, i called them up to find out why it was taking so long. I found out that they dont ship hoods directly to the individuals house, but only to the Autobody shop the individual has selected to paint it.

So I tell them where to ship it and they finally approve it and it gets shipped out. a couple of days later my paint shop calls me up and tells me it has arrived in great condition and will start on it as soon as they can.

a week and a half later i got to pick it and put it on my car, only to find out that Americanmuslce shipped the wrong model year hood. the hood was designed for the 2005-2009 body style mustang and wont fit on my 2012 Mustang.

Because it was already painted, Americanmuscle will not take it back and refund it. So now I am stuck with having to take a $300-$400 hit when i sell it to someone else that can actually use it.

Leasson learned, ALWAYS TEST FIT ANY UNPAINTED PARTS YOU BUY FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GET PAINTED.

on a related note... anyone in the market for a OEM black Trufiber venom hood for their 2005-2009 Mustang? 850$
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear man.Shouldn't your body guy have caught this?I mean really the body guy should know better than to just throw on paint,I thought most of that stuff needs minor tweaking to get just right before paint anyway..You couldn't test fit,it went straight to the body shop.
Good luck in the sell.I'm sure it will go but whoever does get it might also have some fitment problems unless these are perfect direct fits from the factory which i would find hard to believe.
Look at your invoice AM sent you,if it lists the one you ordered then sent the wrong one,I don't see how they cannot be partly responsible.

Last edited by wanakanabe; 05-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:52 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

That's horrible. I understand that you need to take responsibility on your end to ensure that the part fits; however I don't think that it leaves American Muscle totally blameless.
Good luck finding a buyer. I don't know anybody with a black 2010+, but I'm sure you won't be hanging on it for too long!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:15 AM
YerBuddy
2nd Gear Member

That really sucks! I would keep hounding AM until you get a supervisor or better. If you really did order the right part and the wrong one was shipped then they should replace it. No excuses IMO! That said, the paint guy should be kicked in the nuts for not fitting the hood beforehand. I don't see how he/they could have not done a trial fit first.

Good luck!

Last edited by YerBuddy; 05-30-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Where did you get this painted? One of those "paint your whole car for $199" places?

No body and paint shop with even minimal integrity and experience is going to just slap paint on an aftermarket without a trial fit.

I would lay the largest portion of the blame there, those guys are supposed to be the professionals you hired to get this finished and installed properly.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

That's a tough one, customer service wise.
Sure you take a "little" blame for not verifying fit before painting.
Your paint guy takes a hit for not insisting on test fitting the hood before paint (maybe).

But it still comes down to AM shipping the wrong hood. They would not ship directly to you, only to a paint shop, this prevented you from discovering the mistake.

Any way you look at it, it is still 100% on AM. If they are a decent company they will not try to hide behind the details of their "CS Policy". They should look for ways to make things right.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
Your paint guy takes a hit for not insisting on test fitting the hood before paint (maybe)
No real maybe about that part.

Even if it were the correct hood for his model year, fiberglass hoods very often require some pre-paint tweaks, sometimes they arrive warped, etc, and no manufacturer will take a return after paint/body work is done.

Tru-Fiber has a decent quality rep, but pre-fitting a 'glass hood is not an optional step for a quality shop.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Where did you get this painted? One of those "paint your whole car for $199" places?

No body and paint shop with even minimal integrity and experience is going to just slap paint on an aftermarket without a trial fit.

I would lay the largest portion of the blame there, those guys are supposed to be the professionals you hired to get this finished and installed properly.
Yep your right. They have to test fit it first to find out what if any body work is needed to fix any issues with fitment. Aftermarket hoods sometimes need material added or taken away to insure the correct fit and all that has to be done "prior" to any paint work.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:02 PM
D00m3dHitm4n
1st Gear Member

your right about the test fitting.... however this hood is definately designed for the 2005-2009 body style... the hole for the prop rod is on the left hand side of the hood like it is in the 05-09 hoods... the 10-13 tyle prop rods go into the right hand side... and other than the lack of the making sure we test fitted the hood first. the paint shop i picked was over all a great place. Clean Cut Creations in St. louis is the shop i used. They are used to working on classic restorations and not much on late model work.

when it comes to AM tho all they offered was a small discount on my next purchase. which after all that i had to go though(several phone calls) isn't much to talk about. I had heard that this place had great customer service, but I didn't experiance that at all friday.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
2 weeks ago I ordered a Trufiber Venom Hood from Americanmuscle.com for my 2012 Mustang GT. 2 days later when i realised it still wasn't getting fully approved and shipped, i called them up to find out why it was taking so long. I found out that they dont ship hoods directly to the individuals house, but only to the Autobody shop the individual has selected to paint it.

So I tell them where to ship it and they finally approve it and it gets shipped out. a couple of days later my paint shop calls me up and tells me it has arrived in great condition and will start on it as soon as they can.

a week and a half later i got to pick it and put it on my car, only to find out that Americanmuslce shipped the wrong model year hood. the hood was designed for the 2005-2009 body style mustang and wont fit on my 2012 Mustang.

Because it was already painted, Americanmuscle will not take it back and refund it. So now I am stuck with having to take a $300-$400 hit when i sell it to someone else that can actually use it.

Leasson learned, ALWAYS TEST FIT ANY UNPAINTED PARTS YOU BUY FOR YOUR CAR BEFORE THEY GET PAINTED.

on a related note... anyone in the market for a OEM black Trufiber venom hood for their 2005-2009 Mustang? 850$
Originally Posted by D00m3dHitm4n
your right about the test fitting.... however this hood is definately designed for the 2005-2009 body style... the hole for the prop rod is on the left hand side of the hood like it is in the 05-09 hoods... the 10-13 tyle prop rods go into the right hand side... and other than the lack of the making sure we test fitted the hood first. the paint shop i picked was over all a great place. Clean Cut Creations in St. louis is the shop i used. They are used to working on classic restorations and not much on late model work.

when it comes to AM tho all they offered was a small discount on my next purchase. which after all that i had to go though(several phone calls) isn't much to talk about. I had heard that this place had great customer service, but I didn't experiance that at all friday.

Did you check your paperwork from AM is see if in fact "you" order the wrong hood or if "they" sent you the wrong hood?

Quick Reply: Expensive lesson learned