Notices
2010-current S197 Appearance Section For all appearance mods to the 2010-2014 S197's

Those of you that have replaced seat covers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:44 AM
MADSCOTSMAN
2nd Gear Member

Default Those of you that have replaced seat covers

Any tips for how to remove the plastic seat trim panels on the sides of the lower seat without breaking them? I did the passenger seat but couldn't get the trim panel off without massive force. I ended up breaking one of the tabs off that has the "side shield retainers" (metal clip thing) and the other "side shield retainer" is all bent and will no longer stay in the notch it goes into (broke a few of the tongs off on it trying to re-shape it with my needle nose pliers). Those side shield retainers are an SOB, I had to use two pairs of pliers at the same time to remove the one that broke off, and it took me at least 5 minutes of bending it beyond recognition to get it out.

I printed out the online service manual pages that pertain to these pieces and found this nice tidbit:

"NOTICE:
Do not reinstall the cushion side shield or side shield retainers after removal. These are one-time-use items that become damaged during
removal and may not remain attached if reinstalled. Install a new side shield during seat assembly."

At $54 per (one-time-use) panel, I want to try not to break the driver side one today if possible...

TIA