Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 tunes received

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:12 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

The service manager called Ford tech. to see if there would be any unexpected issues in the 3.55 install. The warranty info he passed on was from them. After we talked he called them back and received the correct info. Not him, just what he got from some supposed expert. We all know about "experts"!

Now I have to edit my sig. again.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Gears are now in. Drove it a little but will take it easy for a couple hundred for gears to wear in. Changes the whole character of the `stang. Under light throttle shifts thru 3rd come very quick. Response when driving moderate speeds in traffic is much improved.

Makes the car feel stronger at low rpm where this car has very moderate power. Gives the `stang the more spirited feel I hoped for while still below 4000 rpm. I suspect 0-60 and 1/4 times will be much improved if I don`t have too much trouble with hookup. I`ll let ya know later.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I put about 60 miles on the new gears today. This change was the right thing to do. I did 1 fairly spirited takeoff and still got no wheelspin but it sure reaches the power band quicker and gave me a good squack on the 1-2 shift. I was on the street tune and didn`t quite go wot but the difference is evident. I did what Ford should give us the option to do.

Lovin` this car more as time goes on. Will be sorry to put it up for the winter but I won`t put it away till we get snow and salt. Too much fun to drive.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snaf2u
The service manager called Ford tech. to see if there would be any unexpected issues in the 3.55 install. The warranty info he passed on was from them. After we talked he called them back and received the correct info. Not him, just what he got from some supposed expert. We all know about "experts"!

Now I have to edit my sig. again.
I take it, from your posts, that the dealer was able to correct the speedometer and the transmission shift points for the new 3.55 gears - even though they are not normally available for the convertible? Did they do a new flash to the onboard computer to correct for the change? Did you then have to correct the Bama tunes or were they set up for the 3.55 gears?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:57 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Radioguy, I have a SCT tuner from AM-Bama with 3 tunes in it. I am running the 91 street tune and that allowed me to make the correction for the 3.55. All 3 tunes allow a choice of most all common rear axle ratios. The dealer said the Tech people didn`t have a correction for 3.55. But I do thanks to Bama. The corrections are spot on according to a gps.

There were no changes to the transmission. the shift points remain at the same rpm`s but are about 30% sooner than stock. Instead of 48, 85, and 131mph they are now 37, 68 and 102, (for 1st,2nd,3rd.) about perfect for the 1/4.

Last edited by snaf2u; 10-23-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: to conplete the answer.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

This will be my last post to this thread. I have been trying to pass along info on this `11 6er as I experienced it. I will have a few more rides in the `stang before storage but no more testing or measurements to pass along from today on. Just going to get more milage on the new gears and then wait untill spring.

I`ve put 2300+ miles on the car and 193 miles on the 3.55 gears. The addition of the gears made this the car Ford should have built. Launch without wheelspin is easy but tires actually "scrub" a bit on launch and do leave marks on pavement, just what I want. Moving smoothly wiith traffic is easy now with no more hunting for just the right pedel pressure to keep up at low speeds. 0-60 times are now down well into the mid 5`s and I leave third gear just over 100 mph. Should allow me to run the 1/4 and finish in third.

The comfort of the Mustang is such that makes it a true pleasure to drive and fun to own. Long rides are not tiring even for us "older" people. I have had too many looks and compliments to even count on the `stang even at the Gilmore barns where almost everyones car is worth a second look.

Ford did a great job on these cars, newer and older alike. Ford if you read these PLEASE, more gear choices for the smaller engine crowd. For those who have read this, thanks and I hope I have provided the slightest little bit of info for those owning or thinking about getting one of these great cars. GT or 6`er you won`t be dissapointed.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:34 PM
V6.P.Pack

Thanks for all the great info.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:08 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

This was probably one of the best reviews I've read thus-far. A+!
Old 11-10-2010, 02:06 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

Thanks V6 and Chris.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:57 AM
downshift808

Originally Posted by snaf2u
Thanks V6 and Chris.
Awesome review man!
How much did the gears+install run you?

Quick Reply: 2011 tunes received