Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

posi-traction-winter-snow

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 AM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

I'm not too worried about driving in winter with my 2011 V6 Mustang, but that's because to me, the most useful tool is keeping an eye on upcoming weather. Granted, they can make mistakes, so to me, keeping a good amount of food and supplies ready ahead of time work as great insurance. That way, I don't have to travel unless absolutely urgent.

If bad weather is on the way, though, (unless I'm very far from home) I'll just go home and get my 2009 Ford Ranger (Yes, I'm a blue oval fan ) 4x4 w/ LSD and sand bags in the back. That being said, not everybody has access to another vehicle, so the Mustang is the only choice. If it is an option, rent a vehicle that is more suitable for winter driving.

If it were an emergency, though, and no other vehicle is available, I would just start off slow (start in 2 or 3), drive slow, and hope for the best. Snow tires and weight will help, but I have to agree with snaf2u, a light right foot is one of your best weapons. Keep kitty litter in the trunk (heck, use it instead of sand bags) in case you get stuck and need a little bit of extra traction.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Grabber2012

Default Very Curious

Surprised this thread hasn't generated smoke if not flames. I learned to drive in upstate NY snow in January 1969, so I developed antibodies for this young. A weird discovery:

1) A V8 Mustang with only Traction-Lock will force you to dirt-track it when both rear wheels break loose on snow. This can be no big deal, or, at worst, alarming to folks who meet you coming around a curve using opposite lock.

2) My 2000 3.8 V6 stick Mustang winter car with open differential is a damn good winter car...a paradox, I know. With either true winter tires or all-seasons, it hunts for a moment, then goes forward with no dirt-tracking needed. There's no torque multiplication as with the auto, and like a very knowledgeable LostBoyz said, the left foot allows you to modulate what's being sent to the rar.

I don't pretend to explain it, just reporting. Now, all of this will be thrown up in the air by AdvanceTrac with XYZ, so, it's probably worth about $0.99.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:20 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

235/75/15

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 +3 BAGS OF CONCRETE (in plastic garbage bags)

Took my stang up hills FWD Cars wouldnt climp in 8 inch snow.I have the 8.8 rear with added torque bias extra steels and F-150 S- Spring. I got stuck no where.

These will lift the stang up higher to clear snow piles and improve braking time drastically in the snow.

Use 4 of them, if your strapped on cash, you can use two on the rear and the same size(cheap radialls) on the front, however it will feel a little more loose, nothing major.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:36 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chrispy294ss
Please read your owners manual, you have two wheels working for you as all 2011 have a limited slip differential.

You do need to be more carefull as the rear end is more prone to breaking loose during a turn.

I'm still waiting damit.

Cheers,

Chrispy
I've swung the rear end of my Mustang out several times this winter, not too far, but caught my attention. Also have done it a couple times just for fun. Had a hard time getting up my driveway with the traction control on since it was too slick. Just turned it off and spun my way up the drive.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:05 PM
2011Kona3.7L
1st Gear Member

My plan is to simply not drive in those conditions, unless I have to. I just got home from a road trip to Vegas with my two best friends. It snowed pretty much from Flagstaff, AZ to Amarillo, TX on our way home. We got stuck when traffic slowed to a crawl on a hill just east of Albuquerque. I was sure we were gonna get hit by a trucker comin up the hill and not knowing we were there. Thankfully, two deputy sheriffs came and helped us get unstuck and we made it the 3 miles to the next exit to a gas station to sleep at - all three of us in the Mustang.

After that experience, my car is definitely being parked during snow/icy weather.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:33 PM
KutenStang
1st Gear Member

I've kept my stock wheels and tires on mine for the winter. Not great in snow, but can be fun at times. Just need to remember to keep a light touch on the pedal to keep it from spinning. Had to turn off traction control to get up the driveway since it wouldn't let the tires spin at all (needed to spin my way up the drive).
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

got back at 2 am from xmas visits, was dry as a bone, .......at 730 what the heck?....I moved to south to escape this lol...