Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Shifter Arm Modification - Hurst Style Long Arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 Shifter Arm Modification - Hurst Style Long Arm

I did a little bit of a modification to my shifter arm. I love the feel of stock shifter on the 2011 6 speed manual. Only thing that left me wanting more was the length of the shifter arm. I like the old school style, longer arm. This solution I did doesn't have the same shape as the Hurst or Roush arms but it does have about the same exact length. Here's what I purchased to put this together.

The only thing I had to do differently was I flipped the Roush aluminum boot retainer over. Basically installed it upside down. If you don't do this the shifter arm is a little too tall. Also the bottom of the shifter extender is a different diameter than what the normal top diameter of the boot retainer is. By flipping it over they mate up flush together. The satin shifter extender matches the Roush boot retainer pretty darn perfectly.

A few good things about this modification is that it's super quick and easy to do, it's not permanent and you could also easily combine this modification with a short shifter like the the Steeda Tri-Ax or Barton. I think it looks boobies and old school. There are some performance benefits as well especially on a road course. The idea is you spend more time with your hands on the wheel by having less time for your hand to go back and forth between the shifter.

Hope you like it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep I have the Black pearl one coming, Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

WRX called the stick extenders guys today see when coming.....3 weeks with that ups shipping lol..only cause the black pearl is the best seller but also the most to create due to the coating...so they said worth the wait, but offered the mirrored finish, which it is not chrome , it is a billet like polished which holds up unlike chromed...
Old 01-25-2011, 05:52 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

So you're waiting for the black chrome right? It'll match your **** and collar perfect. I hope that is what you end up with. I want to see it when you get it installed.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:09 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

black pearl ...oh you'll see it...they say stunning
Old 02-01-2011, 08:28 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Looks like I might get before end of Feb. only reason not raising the fraud flag is cause you got yours WRX and know they are a legit company, but the one I ordered is that Black Pearl, very high luster Black and they send out in batches once more orders come in, so they said couple more weeks, but worth wait.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I drove a car with the Hurst short throw shifter and it was awesome, looks and feel, definitely next on my list! The throw was night and day form stock and I don't see missing a gear being possible with it! Literally no more than 1/2 inch between gears!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
Looks like I might get before end of Feb. only reason not raising the fraud flag is cause you got yours WRX and know they are a legit company, but the one I ordered is that Black Pearl, very high luster Black and they send out in batches once more orders come in, so they said couple more weeks, but worth wait.
Give them a chance, they are located in Canada. Shipping sometime takes a while. I've purchased from them several times in the past. Used 2 of their short shifters on my previous Mazda 3 and Mazdaspeed 3. Their products are TOP NOTCH. If they made a short shifter for the Mustang, I would have bought one without a second thought. But I'm still quite happy with my Roush.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

tnis is not a short throw shifter,,,,this just extending the stick....but sure you know that.....it's not that they are in canada, it's that the one I want is a process they don't do in house they only send out to make that style in batches save cost...I'm waiting, waiting on my CAI too.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:13 AM
smokinAMD
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
tnis is not a short throw shifter,,,,this just extending the stick....but sure you know that.....it's not that they are in canada, it's that the one I want is a process they don't do in house they only send out to make that style in batches save cost...I'm waiting, waiting on my CAI too.
Yeah, I realize it isn't a short throw. I was just referencing the fact you purchased it from the same company that DOES make short shifters, and they are in Canada, so sometimes it takes a while.

I had to wait a few weeks for one of my purchases from them, but it was WELL worth it.

I'm pretty certain they don't make ANY of their products in house, other than the prototypes, once they make one that works, they have someone else with greater bulk manufacturing abilities make them.

IIRC, they only have something like 10 employees that run the whole operation.

Last edited by smokinAMD; 02-04-2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: added info

Quick Reply: 2011 Shifter Arm Modification - Hurst Style Long Arm