Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rough Shifts after 3.73 gears and SCT tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Default Rough Shifts after 3.73 gears and SCT tuner

Hey fellow Mustanians. This is my first post. I have a 2011 V6 with 3.73 American Racing gears, a SCT tuner with a 93 performance tune, C&L CAI, and Borla Axlebacks. My 1st gear is smooth but very fast (because of the 3.73 gears) and when I shift into 2nd it's extremely rough. It does the same when I'm approaching a stop light from 2nd gear into 1st. How do I make this transition smoother? I understand that the tune and gears naturally cause rougher shifts... but it's currently neck-jerkingly rough.

Also... when I'm at WOT, when shifting into 2nd gear, my RPM's drop from about 8 RPM's way down to 3-4 thousand RPM's. This causes my car to slow way down until it eventually jumps back up into the 6-7 RPM range. How do I keep my RPM's above 5 thousand RPM's while at WOT? I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer. I've been using this forum since I first bought the car about 6 months ago. You guys are great, and very knowledgeable. Thanks in advance!

David
Old 02-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm... sorry to hear about this problem david. I have pretty much identical mods but don't have this problem. Where did you get the gears installed?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

I had the gears installed from Ford. Figured they would be the best bet... You're shifts are semi smooth? Did you change the gear oil after breaking in the gears? I heard that a lot of people do that... But I highly doubt that would be the cause of my issue.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM
snaf2u
2nd Gear Member

I will never run this 6`er to 8000 rpm and I wouldn`t advise you do. That is way over redline. The power band on these cars seems to start just under 3000 rpm and continue to redline. On my auto the rpm`s never leaves the power band under wot.

Go ahead and use your car as you want but................

Last edited by snaf2u; 02-18-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Grungie
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snaf2u
I will never run this 6`er to 8000 rpm and I wouldn`t advise you do. That is way over redline. The power band on these cars seems to start just under 3000 rpm and continue to redline. On my auto the rpm`s never leaves the power band under wot.

Go ahead and use your car as you want but................
I apologize. It wasn't 8 RPM, it was probably more like 7 at tops.

Pretty sure I fixed the issue though... I loaded my 93 race tune and everything felt 100% better. Weird that a race tune feels more comfortable than a performance tune isn't it? Maybe it was a bad tune...
Old 02-16-2023, 01:38 PM
cleotez

Default Having the same issue

Hey I was having the same issue with rough shifts. I have a 2011 mustang cyclone. Everytime it goes from 1-2 it jerks. Not exactly sure why. I recently purchased this car from someone who bought it from someone else so they knew nothing about the car. Slowly I’m learning the different things they have. It has a one piece aluminum drive shaft, K&N CAI, Borla catback with stock headers, I think he changed the gear ratio but not exactly sure to what.(reason I think he did is because of the clunking from the drive shaft when accelerating, changing from D to R). He also had a tuner. I read that the 93 race tune fixed the issue and wanted to confirm that if that really did work. And any tips you guys can give me about the thumping coming from the drive shaft. I’m new to the scene so lots to learn. Thanks! Hope you guys are still here after 12 years