Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Observations on a newly applied Bama 87s tune

Old 03-20-2011, 03:16 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Thanks for the awesome, review! Glad that you're happy with it, and I can definitely say that I, too noticed a difference up any grades or while passing. There's a much better kick, for sure - even with 2.73's.

Enjoy the tunes!

Chris
Chris, I've been searching your previous comments and observing the videos of the dyno runs, and I believe you've mentioned that in the different pulls you've done, that improvements in octane ratings will be relative. So my question to you is this. For a guy with a CAI (airaid) and 87s tune, if oes up to a 91s tune, what ballpark figure would you give for that octane increase? (92 is about as high as it goes around here, so I'm stuck with contemplating just 91).
Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Just by going to 91/93 octane you will see about 8-12hp over 87, and that doesn't include tunng. That's just with a stock ECU.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:24 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Wrx, you had a good post somewhere (the hell if I can find it now...) where you described the differences you felt with the different tunes, and where exactly the power across the rpm ranges were felt. What was your take comparing the 93S and the 93P tunes? ...or just send me the link to where you mentioned that before. I'm being an idiot today.
Good question. Likely if you're thinking about one of my posts regarding tunes I didn't give much thought to the Street tune because I started with a 91 Street, 93 Performance and 93 Race. I never played much with the 91 Street. In January I replaced it with a 93 Street tune and have since started using it quite a bit.

Could be one of these you're thinking about.

Originally Posted by wrxified
My favorite is the 93 Performance tune. I think it's smoother than stock. The 93 Race tune is exactly like some of you described. It's almost hard to drive it smooth at low to mid throttle. Makes me feel like I'm 16 again learning to drive a stick. Only way I can smooth out the race tune is to drop the hammer on it. Full throttle, white knuckles, hold on.

I've run the 91 Street, 93 Performance and 93 Race. The difference between the race and performance tune is noticeable but it's a lot like solidhadriel describes. It feels like it's the same power, but it's delivered in a much different fashion. To me it's awesome but just way to jerky to be driving it every day. I load it every now and then but always fall back to the 93 performance tune.

A different analogy, 93 Performance tune = guzzling a 12 oz can of beer. 93 race tune = 12 oz can of beer through the beer bong.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Just by going to 91/93 octane you will see about 8-12hp over 87, and that doesn't include tunng. That's just with a stock ECU.
Makes me curious to try out the 94 octane at the local Petro-Canada once I get the car :P.

Chris, do you have 94 octane available in your area for tune creation purposes or are you limited to 93 octane for street gas(not that that's a bad thing, mind you)

--------

So 6th gear isn't much of a passing gear with 2.73s, do any of you think 6th gear COULD be more potent with the 3.31s with at least an 87 street tune?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:05 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Good question. Likely if you're thinking about one of my posts regarding tunes I didn't give much thought to the Street tune because I started with a 91 Street, 93 Performance and 93 Race. I never played much with the 91 Street. In January I replaced it with a 93 Street tune and have since started using it quite a bit.

Could be one of these you're thinking about.
Ah yes... That was it. Thanks man..
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Chris, I've been searching your previous comments and observing the videos of the dyno runs, and I believe you've mentioned that in the different pulls you've done, that improvements in octane ratings will be relative. So my question to you is this. For a guy with a CAI (airaid) and 87s tune, if oes up to a 91s tune, what ballpark figure would you give for that octane increase? (92 is about as high as it goes around here, so I'm stuck with contemplating just 91).
87-91 is probably 6-8RWHP or so. Naturally aspirated, in this particular horsepower level, ROUGHLY 2hp per octane point. That's being conservative, it can be 3-4RWHP. It all depends on the car.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:57 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Upsh1ft
Chris, do you have 94 octane available in your area for tune creation purposes or are you limited to 93 octane for street gas(not that that's a bad thing, mind you)
We've tested 94 octane and it's sometimes able to sneak in another degree, sometimes not. There's not really a huge power difference in that degree, since we're already in that sweet spot with 93 octane. It's definitely worth running with 93 octane if you feel like having a tiny tiny little bit of saferoom. I mean, you can find crappy 94, just like you can 93, but if you get good 94 and it helps keep you away from the knock sensors, go for it!

Chris
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

87-91 is probably 6-8RWHP or so. Naturally aspirated, in this particular horsepower level, ROUGHLY 2hp per octane point. That's being conservative, it can be 3-4RWHP. It all depends on the car.
Thanks for the response Chris.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

We've tested 94 octane and it's sometimes able to sneak in another degree, sometimes not. There's not really a huge power difference in that degree, since we're already in that sweet spot with 93 octane. It's definitely worth running with 93 octane if you feel like having a tiny tiny little bit of saferoom. I mean, you can find crappy 94, just like you can 93, but if you get good 94 and it helps keep you away from the knock sensors, go for it!

Chris
Well, Petro-Canada is one of the three top-tier gasoline brands according to our Govt standards for gasoline quality. Basically we have most brand that are just above our minimum standards, then we have Petro-can, among others, who meet the highest tier even with 87. So the 94 is top notch. I guess I could just run that with the 93 tune. We don't have 93 otane as far as i've ever seen anyways.

While i'm at it, anyone who decides to come up north should stick to these three brands(pretty much nationwide): Shell, Petro-Canada and Esso. Ultramar is okay but really average and I take a noticable hit in fuel economy with it. Avoid the others, they suck.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:03 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Esso (I believe) is the same thing as Sunoco down here? Which is AWESOME gas on the east coast!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Observations on a newly applied Bama 87s tune