Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New ProCharger installation completed

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Awesome man! Congrats and the engine bay looks real nice with the ProCharger in there.

I can't wait until I finally get mine installed.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

That thing sounds insane
Old 10-10-2011, 07:24 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Here are a few pictures of the install.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 AM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

Very nice!!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Noahfreak

I noticed that in your list of mods that you didn't opt for the clutch upgrade. Any issues with the clutch slipping with all that extra power, or is the stock clutch handling it well?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahfreak
I noticed that in your list of mods that you didn't opt for the clutch upgrade. Any issues with the clutch slipping with all that extra power, or is the stock clutch handling it well?
Yeah, no clutch upgrade. Some might suggest it is inevitable. And it might be. I'll eventually find out I suppose. I also suspect that with 235's the wheels are gonna slip much easier than the clutch. :-)

I don't take it down to the strip or track it, so my use for it might be different. Also, I can't emphasize enough how normal it feels to drive when you haven't reached boost. Much different than anything else ive driven. (brother in law had a blown 06 that was almost hard to drive it had so much power down low). This feels very different. So the day to day driving doesn't feel too different. However, it feels like its coming out of its shoes high up in the rpms though. :-)

Last edited by sketchy00; 10-18-2011 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Noahfreak

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Yeah, no clutch upgrade. Some might suggest it is inevitable. And it might be. I'll eventually find out I suppose. I also suspect that with 235's the wheels are gonna slip much easier than the clutch. :-)

I don't take it down to the strip or track it, so my use for it might be different. Also, I can't emphasize enough how normal it feels to drive when you haven't reached boost. Much different than anything else ive driven. (brother in law had a blown 06 that was almost hard to drive it had so much power down low). This feels very different. So the day to day driving doesn't feel too different. However, it feels like its coming out of its shoes high up in the rpms though. :-)
When I test-drove a stock 3.7 MT with the 2.73s it felt slow to me until about 15-20 mph. I honestly expected more torque from the motor as I've experienced with other V6s in the past. If the procharger doesn't add any low-end torque, the 3.31s or higher are a must for that quick off-the-line acceleration I'm looking for. I don't plan to track it much if at all, but I like to have a quick and nimble car for city driving, and some nice top-end for highway acceleration. I will definitely order the performance pack with the 3.31s if I buy new. Car handles, brakes and looks much better too with that package. Only thing needed at that point would be the procharger kit and aluminum driveshaft! Looked into cost of doing those upgrades in the performance package myself, and it would be quite a bit more than just optioning them new. Only way doing the upgrades myself would work out would be if I got a smoking deal used and then did the upgrades. Who knows, maybe the prices will come down a lot next year on the 11 models and I'll be able to save some money going that route, but as I've been seeing, very few MT v6 cars can be had for cheap quite yet, just autos. It's crazy because it's getting so that used GTs (MT and auto) are selling for only about 3 grand more than v6 MT cars. The V6 manual must be very sought-after here in SoCal. I'll probably buy new and order exactly what I want if that trend continues. Who knows, maybe an off-the-shelf turbo kit will be ready by the time I get one and the gas mileage won't suffer from the mod. At any rate, with my planned mods and the factory performance package, this thing will be an M3 killer (or very close at least), and for less than $30k too. Unbelievable.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Well, as a former 2.73er myself, I will tell you that gears will make all the difference in the world. If you are planning on an SC, I would say 3.55's are a minimum (before I decided on an SC, I actually wanted 3.31s, but all worked out for the best with going with a shorter gear). 3.73 might be the perfect match with FI. As i see it now, The goal with FI is to get into boost as quickly as possible. Gears will help you do that - at the start, and climbing through each gear as well. Don't get me wrong from my previous statements. You'd better be ready to drive it when you stomp on it.

Contrary to many others, I had no master plan. Hell, I didn't plan on doing anything to it when I bought it. Then the mod bug hit, and the rest is history. Been fun though, and have one heck of a fast car in the process.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Noahfreak

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Well, as a former 2.73er myself, I will tell you that gears will make all the difference in the world. If you are planning on an SC, I would say 3.55's are a minimum (before I decided on an SC, I actually wanted 3.31s, but all worked out for the best with going with a shorter gear). 3.73 might be the perfect match with FI. As i see it now, The goal with FI is to get into boost as quickly as possible. Gears will help you do that - at the start, and climbing through each gear as well. Don't get me wrong from my previous statements. You'd better be ready to drive it when you stomp on it.

Contrary to many others, I had no master plan. Hell, I didn't plan on doing anything to it when I bought it. Then the mod bug hit, and the rest is history. Been fun though, and have one heck of a fast car in the process.
I hear what you're saying, but for the time being, this thing has to be my daily driver, as I don't have a place to store a second car. I'm not willing to sacrifice the economy that you get with the v6, otherwise I'd be thinking 5.0 all the way. No other car on the market matches it for performance given its pricing. I'm thinking that procharged with 3.31s would be a good compromise. Good highway mileage but quick acceleration. Who knows, I might be happy with the 3.31s and no other upgrades, but not likely because this car is pretty heavy. Have to wait until it's in my hands to really know what I want though. But the mpg #'s that others are posting procharged with 3.55s are very similar to the 5.0 and is not acceptable to me. I want to at least try to get close to my current ride, which averages about 26 mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Originally I was thinking of going with an old 240sx inline 6 turbo setup, but realized it would be too difficult to get around smog, and those cars are getting old and harder to find parts for. Would be a lot of time and money I don't have to make it reliable (maybe never) and smog legal. When this 3.7L came out, I realized that my prayers have been answered and I don't need to build something from the ground up now. Just trying to approach my mods in such a way that they don't compromise why I'm getting one in the first place. Who knows, maybe I'm dreaming, but I think I can get it pretty close.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Noahfreak
I hear what you're saying, but for the time being, this thing has to be my daily driver, as I don't have a place to store a second car. I'm not willing to sacrifice the economy that you get with the v6, otherwise I'd be thinking 5.0 all the way. No other car on the market matches it for performance given its pricing. I'm thinking that procharged with 3.31s would be a good compromise. Good highway mileage but quick acceleration. Who knows, I might be happy with the 3.31s and no other upgrades, but not likely because this car is pretty heavy. Have to wait until it's in my hands to really know what I want though. But the mpg #'s that others are posting procharged with 3.55s are very similar to the 5.0 and is not acceptable to me. I want to at least try to get close to my current ride, which averages about 26 mpg with mixed highway/city driving. Originally I was thinking of going with an old 240sx inline 6 turbo setup, but realized it would be too difficult to get around smog, and those cars are getting old and harder to find parts for. Would be a lot of time and money I don't have to make it reliable (maybe never) and smog legal. When this 3.7L came out, I realized that my prayers have been answered and I don't need to build something from the ground up now. Just trying to approach my mods in such a way that they don't compromise why I'm getting one in the first place. Who knows, maybe I'm dreaming, but I think I can get it pretty close.
My avg went from 28mpg 0n the 2.73 to 26.5mpg on the 3.55. Personal bests were 31 and 29 respectively. If you are horsing around with the procharger, it can take a huge hit, but if you are doing normal highway driving, it's pretty close so far. The biggest influence being driver input. I plan on posting some mpg patterns with the SC after I get some more miles on it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: New ProCharger installation completed