Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New ProCharger installation completed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

As mentioned earlier in the post, I took it back to have a few tweaks done to it. I had the luxury of being out of town for a few days, so that gave them much more time than during the initial install to build up a good tune. First, I had them vent the excess boost to the atmosphere. The typical installation on this kit vents it back into the intake. It still doesn't make sense to me, and I'd think venting to the atmosphere leads to more predictable incoming airflow (I would love to know why ProCharger chooses to do it this way). The tuner also did a little change on the fuel mapping, as in certain circumstances it felt like it was stepping on it's own toes. The results of the two changes were fantastic. Took it out while it was dry today (those 235's need all the help they can get) and tested it out. It just flat out hauls. I appreciated by tuner making these adjustments. They were as interested learning and optimizing it as I was - especially in the area of drivability.

I also think that as I became totally use to the buttery linear acceleration of NA with a Bama tune, one has to make a few mental adjustments with FI, especially as the car transitions between vacuum and boost. Talk about fun though. ...geezus.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by solidhadriel
Don't expect 27MPG highway unless you plan on driving no faster than 50mph on the freeway/highway with 3.73s.
I get 26.5 mpg on the expressway with the cruise set to 72 mph with my Procharger kit and 3.73's. When you're not in boost and running a good tune with the timing advanced safely you're not consuming any more fuel than an NA V6.

I don't rely on the cars avg mpg calculation. All of my calculations are done manually.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
I get 26.5 mpg on the expressway with the cruise set to 72 mph with my Procharger kit and 3.73's. When you're not in boost and running a good tune with the timing advanced safely you're not consuming any more fuel than an NA V6.

I don't rely on the cars avg mpg calculation. All of my calculations are done manually.
I'm guessing flat roads?
Old 10-24-2011, 02:20 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by solidhadriel
I'm guessing flat roads?
Yeah pretty flat here in MI. We don't have the same hills you have in CA. But on the highway with cruise my MPG wasn't impacted with the Procharger at all.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

I'll post some mpg numbers as soon as I have some data. Its definately not flat where I live.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
solidhadriel
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wrxified
Yeah pretty flat here in MI. We don't have the same hills you have in CA. But on the highway with cruise my MPG wasn't impacted with the Procharger at all.
That's awesome
Old 10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

I'm new to the stang world but not tuning, so forgive me if this Q is out of place but, I noticed your air intake was not cordoned off as most CAI's are if they are topside (vs being fed by tube way down to the ground area). Isn't that just feeding hot bay air , or does it really not matter after slapping in that charger??

(just curious!)

I'd add 'looks sweet!!' but about 4 pages of folks beat me to it..
Old 10-31-2011, 12:20 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JayyVee
I'm new to the stang world but not tuning, so forgive me if this Q is out of place but, I noticed your air intake was not cordoned off as most CAI's are if they are topside (vs being fed by tube way down to the ground area). Isn't that just feeding hot bay air , or does it really not matter after slapping in that charger??

(just curious!)

I'd add 'looks sweet!!' but about 4 pages of folks beat me to it..
With a centrifugal supercharger you're heating the intake air so much above ambient temperatures that the air surrounding the filter becomes a non-issue. Also with centrifugal superchargers you want them to do as little sucking as possible of the intake air for them to perform efficiently. The ideal filter would be a wide open element strapped right to the front of the supercharger but it's not possible due to space. By putting it in the stock box or routing the inlet pipe to a section down low in hopes of decreasing the temp a few degrees you lose power.

The open filter in this configuration picked up 15 hp on the dyno regardless of the engine bay temperature.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

By the way, here is a picture of how the extra boost gets dumped out to the atmosphere. (The white filter). This was not part of the original installation, but done afterward to elliminate some odd behaviors. I'd hate to think of what would happen if that was completely blocked or plugged. :-)