Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Going to looks at a '11. Anything I should be concerned about?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bakerjd
This.

That being said, they are a comfortable ride. Just don't exceed 135mph and your driveshaft should maintain integrity

My 12 is speed limited so the 11 should be too lol. Good luck with the car. I think they are really good cars IMO...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
...and HP wins sales, torque wins races.
lol, that's one myth that just won't go away.

If it were true, a 1996 Mustang gt would be just as fast as a 2011 BMW M3. They both make 290 ft-lbs of torque but the M3 is 2 seconds faster through the quarter mile.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Wow. Just noticed some more responces. Saturday drove 100 miles to pick up Lucy. '11 Auto Premium, dark gray (dont know the name), all leather with Sync. Put about 300 miles on it so far and rather impressed. Love the leather seats, so much better than my 95 cloth ones. Only getting about 22.5-.9 MPG so far, not sure why as I am very reserved in my driving style. Kinda worried about the trans, seems to slam into gear in reverse and at lower speeds but it came with 100K mile warranty so Im not that worried.

Question - was looking at getting a tuner for the auto to firm up the shifts and was going to go with AM.com's Bama/AirRaid CAI combo. Anyone had any problems with a BAMA tune?

Thanks - pics when I have a few minutes

Matthew
Old 10-24-2012, 07:43 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by armyjared
My 12 is speed limited so the 11 should be too lol. Good luck with the car. I think they are really good cars IMO...
This I know. It's a Mustang. If you're not modding it, you're doing it wrong.

I love my BAMA tune. Woke my auto right up! They do have the fastest '11 V6 'stang in the country (possibly the world).

Last edited by bakerjd; 10-24-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass
lol, that's one myth that just won't go away.

If it were true, a 1996 Mustang gt would be just as fast as a 2011 BMW M3. They both make 290 ft-lbs of torque but the M3 is 2 seconds faster through the quarter mile.
The M3's suspension is light years ahead of your '96. That alone makes a huge difference.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by bakerjd
This I know. It's a Mustang. If you're not modding it, you're doing it wrong.

I love my BAMA tune. Woke my auto right up! They do have the fastest '11 V6 'stang in the country (possibly the world).
As this is my first auto, and first car able to be tuned what does BAMA send you? I know it says 3 tunes but is one Race (91oct), one Street (87oct), and I dont even know what the 3rd one would be.

Matthew
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
As this is my first auto, and first car able to be tuned what does BAMA send you? I know it says 3 tunes but is one Race (91oct), one Street (87oct), and I dont even know what the 3rd one would be.

Matthew
Depends on what you submit. After you order the tune they will send you an email. You'll list the mods, tunes you'd like and so on. I personally went with 87 street, 87 performance and 93 Race because my '06 is my daily driver. I love the performance tune. The race tune it too much for the street (I mean, it doesn't behave the way I'd like a daily to behave for a 80 miles commute). The street tune is good but the performance is much better and more driveable. It's all in what you like. If you order those three, and you decide you'd like to try something else, don't forget you have the free tunes for life option which means you can just order another 3 different tunes on a whim.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The V6 is rated higher HP than the GT but the GT has a good bit more torque. If she beat a GT, then the GT driver sucked because there's no way a stock V6 3.7L can beat a stock 4.6L GT.
Stock yes, but it's not going to take much at all for the roles to reverse here.. A CAI and tune puts this V6 with a 93 tune, around 330hp/310tq. With these mild mods yes it can and with equal launch/drivers can slightly pull a 'stock' 05-10 GT slowly but surely -I have done the same on 2 occasions.. 1 was an Auto and the other a Manual.. The auto we did from a dig, and I put 1 1/2 lengths on him by 80 when we cut for traffic.. The manual we pulled from about 35 to around 75-80 as well, I had about a half car length on him, give or take a fender. I was launching on the auto pull (around 2800k RPM, nothing massive).. I didn't hear him wind up any before the launch, and the manual like I said was from a roll. I was in 2nd when we started (not quite optimal actually with these frickin' tall gears), and basically winded it out until we stopped around 75-80.

Believe me, they 'were' trying and were not pleased (either of the guys) to hear my dual exhaust was only a V6.. Auto guy took it better and was smiling ('07), Manual guy ('10) after we exchanged thoughts behind the next traffic pack, scowled but gave me the nod.

Here is a good video from youtube showing 2 'stock' cars going at it, a 2011 v6 and a 2010 GT.. Notice no launches going on either just mashing it and going.. The GT is pulling, but notice it isn't pulling anywhere fast.. Especially on the 2nd pull when the lady driver of the v6 gets it going right (3rd pull is the charm she finally puts it down RIGHT)... Notice also that when the v6 hits 3rd, it actually starts to reel in the GT.. This close of a pull stock to stock cars, can be a drivers race but should result in the GT pulling all the time. A slightly tuned 11+ v6 vs a stock 05-10 - roles can indeed reverse. (Not that many guys here with 05-10 GT's are stock and need worry anyhow!)

Last edited by JayyVee; 10-30-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 AM
JayyVee
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang

Matthew
You tell 'them' what you want when you fill out the tune request.

You will get an X3 Tuner that plugs right into the port on the drivers side below the dash. Takes 15-20 minutes the first time as it backs up your stock tune before replacing with one of the new tunes.

I started with all 93 tunes.. S R and P. Then went back and got a 87S for long journeys and 2 91 tunes for when I'm away from 93o states. The slight $ difference in 87 to 93 gas vs the uptick in performance is fine with me.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Thanks for the info guys. Sadly I had to take Lucy back to Ford to get the hood stripped and repainted so havent had her for the last few days and had to go back to the 95 ....should get her back tomorrow night or Thursday morning.

Matthew

Quick Reply: Going to looks at a '11. Anything I should be concerned about?