Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

373's for 2012 V6

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I changed my DS out only for the performance aspect of it. I'm really close to the end of what I can do to make the car faster without a supercharger, so I got one. Some guys will also tell you to get a driveshaft safety loop. And honestly if you're worried about your stock DS, that's what I'd get. That way if it does go on you (big if), it won't rip up your car or you. You can get one for around $100-150 vs $700 for a new DS.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

If he bypasses the rev limiter that DS is going break apart once he crosses 120.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Check out v6cannonballer and foolnya. They both beat the hell out their cars and still, or did, have the stock DS for quite some time with aftermarket gears. I don't drive like a grandma either. I believe the previous DS failure may have been a manufacturing flaw out of the factory (one was replaced on warranty). A couple other failures were with aftermarket DSs.....go figure. That company isn't making them for our car anymore due to "supply issues".

Last edited by hogasswild; 12-30-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gary Ugarek
If he bypasses the rev limiter that DS is going break apart once he crosses 120.
Please just go back to the GT forums. You're not helping. First of all, it's not the rev limiter, it's the governor. The DS does not turn at the same rate as the engine unless you're in 5th on this car.

Last edited by hogasswild; 12-30-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
schram1
1st Gear Member

I had 3.73 gear for a year before i put a driveshaft on and i went 120 you defiantly can feel the vibrations.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Please just go back to the GT forums. You're not helping. First of all, it's not the rev limiter, it's the governor. The DS does not turn at the same rate as the engine unless you're in 5th on this car.
I meant the Speed Limiter, it was early when I made the post and just woke up. and as for the OP, his car was a car I owned & traded it for a GT. I know the car pretty well and after having watched videos, heard first hand accounts, and taken the car to the limit, I can guarantee ya he better replace the drive shaft if he plans on pushing that thing past the limiter.

So why don't you sit down and STFU
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Check out v6cannonballer and foolnya. They both beat the hell out their cars and still, or did, have the stock DS for quite some time with aftermarket gears. I don't drive like a grandma either. I believe the previous DS failure may have been a manufacturing flaw out of the factory (one was replaced on warranty). A couple other failures were with aftermarket DSs.....go figure. That company isn't making them for our car anymore due to "supply issues".
That car has the two piece crappy drive shaft. It's build date was September 2011. FMC didn't stop using that drive shaft until the 2013 model year began production.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:12 PM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

My buddy's 2011 v6's shaft snapped on the dyno due to have the speed limiter removed. It's only going to snap if your driving 140+mph. Also the shaft snapped because they didn't slowly let off the gas while on the dyno and the momentum of the dyno snapped it. Your gears will be fine. If your worried about warranty you probably shouldn't mod your car until it has ran out. Dealers can void your warranty for anything you add to the car that they didn't install.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

I have no plans on running on a dyno or removing the limiter. As for installing the DS loop finding the right spot to install it would be hit or miss. Going to leave off for now. Next mod should be the shaft for sure. Thanks for all you imput.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM
schram1
1st Gear Member

The driveshaft was my last mod i put on and i was fine

Quick Reply: 373's for 2012 V6