351 Mustang

I've got the urge...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Default I've got the urge...

If anyone would mind answering a few questions, I've been thinking a lot lately about a 408 conversion in my '91. Near as I can figure my budget should be about 9k. Here goes:
1) First off, would anyone mind posting the cost of their project, and the power results? I know that I can get a stock 351 in for roughly a grand, but I'd like to do at least H/C/I and whatever needs replacing (distributor, headers, lower intake, etc) with nice stuff. It's hard with my limited knowledge to estimate this.
2) What tools are needed? Standard wrenches/impacts/etc or is there anything else? If anyone has a complete tool list that would be helpful, I'd be working out of a friend's garage as my tool supply is pitiful
3) I'm thinking about buying a crate shortblock, perhaps CHP? Would it actually be cheaper to find a 351 and do everything myself, or would a crate be a good way to go?
4) Any other tips/pointers/things to look out for would be good. Sorry for the noob question, but thanks. If I think of anything else I'll toss it up here

Chris
Old 09-29-2006, 03:12 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I've got the urge...

Tools needed are pretty basic, but you do need a really complete set.

I just built my 357W with forged pistons, stock bottom end, AFR heads, TrickFlow EFI intake
CompCams cam, for about $6,500 complete.

You will need to upgrade trans and clutch too. TKO 600 + centerforce clutch + McLeod bellhousing = $2,000

Just be prepared for lots of little headaches to work thru, but nothing impossible.

I can give you a complete parts list if you want.