351 Mustang

Old 351 W

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 04:36 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Default Old 351 W

My friend was cleaning out his shop and was throwing out a bunch of old motors that were left there by his dad. I just figured that they were mostly chevy motors, but he pointed one out that was a 351. I take it its a Windsor. One of the heads was off, but it was there. Should I keep this motor? Is there anything I can use off of it, like the heads? I have Twisted Wedge now, but I want a 351 in the future, would the TW work better than the stock heads?

This motor looks like it has sat around for a while, so I'm almost sure its not a roller block (which is what I need right?). But could it be made a roller block (whats the difference)?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:45 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Old 351 W

Keep it! but first, is the intake still on? is there an opening for the radiator to plug into? if yes then it is definently a windsor. i dont think you absolutely need it to be a roller engine, it sure would be more efficient. you would need the roller cam and lifters, guideplates for the pushrods, roller rockers, ect. keep it and slowly build it to be a roller engine, then when you tire of your TW, then do a swap
Old 12-12-2006, 05:11 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

So there no difference in the machining in a Roller engine and a Non Roller engine? Just the cam and lifters and ect?

Or are you talking about just the heads? I was thinking of using the whole block if I could?

But the 351 heads would def be better than the Twisted wedges?
Old 12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blazinyellowbeast

So there no difference in the machining in a Roller engine and a Non Roller engine? Just the cam and lifters and ect?

Or are you talking about just the heads? I was thinking of using the whole block if I could?

But the 351 heads would def be better than the Twisted wedges?

yea use the whole block, most liekly its not a roler block, but strip it down, get the block cleaned and machined, start from square one, and start by getting crank and pistons and so on.

im not the right person to answer your head question
Old 12-12-2006, 05:51 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Alright. Thanks for all the help. Probably seems like common sense for you but I have never messed with a 351 before so I'm not so sure. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:41 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Alright. Thanks for all the help. Probably seems like common sense for you but I have never messed with a 351 before so I'm not so sure. Thanks again.

we all were new once[8D]
Old 12-13-2006, 05:00 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

My friend was cleaning out his shop and was throwing out a bunch of old motors that were left there by his dad. I just figured that they were mostly chevy motors, but he pointed one out that was a 351. I take it its a Windsor. One of the heads was off, but it was there. Should I keep this motor? Is there anything I can use off of it, like the heads? I have Twisted Wedge now, but I want a 351 in the future, would the TW work better than the stock heads?

This motor looks like it has sat around for a while, so I'm almost sure its not a roller block (which is what I need right?). But could it be made a roller block (whats the difference)?

If it is in fact a Windsor...
****** it up!
You'll love the torque of a 351w.

I have a pretty decent writeup on my site, which gets pretty detailed for a Fox body conversion.
The sn95 swap is pretty similar, so I've heard.

The non roller 351w block is different from a roller 351w.
First thing to do is find out what year the block is.
Do this by getting the casting number, which will be on the block near where the starter would be.

Roller conversions are pretty easy, but there is no reason that you HAVE TO run a roller block in your car.

The sn95 computer may not handle the displacement too well. The factory tune seems to be pretty finicky on those cars.

Just my random thoughts,
Good Luck,
jason
Old 12-13-2006, 08:46 PM
blazinyellowbeast
2nd Gear Member

Aight. Thanks again guys. I've already told the guy that I'm going to take the motor back off the trailer (its on a trailer with about 8 other motors/blocks getting ready to go to the junkyard) and gonna tear it down. I've kind of looked up some parts for a 351 just to see how much I'm gonna get myself into before I start. It looks to be kinda expensive, but not to bad. I was gonna go after a Pro Charger after Xmas but looks like I might be building a motor instead.

Just a couple more questions if anyone wants to answer them.

Since this motor has been sitting for a while, would I have to get a whole set up for it? Could I use the crank thats in there and just have everything cleaned up and machined at the machine shop?

And would the Twisted Wedges be enough for that motor or should I have the stock heads worked? I'm pretty sure I couldn't swing a motor build and New heads.

I put the 302 thats in my car now, so I know a lil bit bout working on cars but for one, it was a Ford Racing short block and Trick Flow H/C/I package so it was pretty easy. But I have never done a swap of anykind, could it be done by amateurs with regular shop tools?

Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

The swap is pretty easy, motor mounts in same place and bellhousing mounts right up too.
If you did your 302 you can handle this with about the same amount of work.

TW's would be ok, AFR 185's or Canfield 195's would be best.

head/cam combo from www.camshaftinnovations.com would be perfect.
and you know everything would work together properly.

Stock crank is good for about 600hp, just make sure you have everything
magnafluxed and checked out real good. You should be able to re-use the crank.
and get some up-graded rods and forged pistons.

make sure you build it up with ARP connecting bolts and main studs
and put a Ford Racing windage tray on there.

make sure you get long tube headers too,........ wish i had.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:56 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Consider the end goal of the motor when deciding if you want to upgrade the rods/pistons.
It isn't a bad idea, but it may not be worth the cost. Especially if the budget is tight.

I am running TW heads on my 408w. I am sure I could make more power with Canfields or AFR's, but the TW's seem to be doing quite well!

The hardest part of doing the swap is getting all the right conversio parts. There isn't any special mechanical skill that you'll need.

I agree that getting the block inspected is a good idea. Especially if it has been sitting around for a while, and you don't know the history of the motor.

Let us know what you find out.
Good Luck BlazingYellow,

jason

PS
r.barn-
Congrats on finally getting the motor running. It sounds like everything is finally sorted out

Quick Reply: Old 351 W