351 Mustang

how much does machine work cost?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how much does machine work cost?

its not the fact that you didnt buy aftermarket heads, its the fact that you wasted your money on manleys. from a machinists standpoint who did nothing but head work all day i can honestly tell you that manley valves are junk. under a given condition the heads will break off, and cause significant engine damage - whereas a ferrea valve will bend like a pretzel and save the rest of your motor. i have seen it countless times.

hell, even the ferrea rep came to our shop and we pulled a manley vavle from stock and took one of his valve. we clamped em both down in the vise and beat the crap outta them with mini-sledges. the manley bent and then snapped. the ferrea bent and bent and bent back and bent again. never did break.

r.e.v. also makes good valves, some of the ferrea tech guys went over to that company and their knowledge of quality went with them.

btw, manley USED to make good valves back in the 70's and early 80's - which is why people hear their name and think they are good.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Fosters82GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

its not the fact that you didnt buy aftermarket heads, its the fact that you wasted your money on manleys. from a machinists standpoint who did nothing but head work all day i can honestly tell you that manley valves are junk. under a given condition the heads will break off, and cause significant engine damage - whereas a ferrea valve will bend like a pretzel and save the rest of your motor. i have seen it countless times.

hell, even the ferrea rep came to our shop and we pulled a manley vavle from stock and took one of his valve. we clamped em both down in the vise and beat the crap outta them with mini-sledges. the manley bent and then snapped. the ferrea bent and bent and bent back and bent again. never did break.

r.e.v. also makes good valves, some of the ferrea tech guys went over to that company and their knowledge of quality went with them.

btw, manley USED to make good valves back in the 70's and early 80's - which is why people hear their name and think they are good.
Okay, did not know that. Thanks for the info. I guess I'm getting those aftermarket heads sooner than I had planned. [>:]
Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

if your going to stay on the street and keep the rpms down you'll probably be ok - but start revving the hell out of it for prolonged periods of time and thats when all hell breaks loose
Old 08-01-2007, 08:26 PM
chath_brick
3rd Gear Member

man, thats good info to know, i didnt realize there was such a difference in valve technology...