351 Mustang

some questions on my build plan

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

thanks... understand what your saying, just got to make up my mind, maybe worth widening my budget for my pony....body work can wait.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

im really leaning towards the 351w based block...even if its pricer i think it will keep me happy longer.

For a daily driver, i was wondering how this Short block + head combo would work, better then my initial plan?

http://www.buydart.com/index.php?mai...products_id=40
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-F...spagenameZWDVW

and what style cam would you suggest (i will still have p/b), what compression would i be looking at on that set up?

Would twisted wedge heads work better for this application...

im keeping my typhoon intake but will have it ported
Old 11-05-2008, 04:12 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

please, i have 24 days starting next friday to decide if im taking my car off the road for four or more months, or if im paying the dmv to give me back her plates.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM
cccharleston
1st Gear Member

I don't think I would go that route. If you have a good local builder thats what I would do. I have a 408 with a comp cams hydraulic roller, Victor Jr. heads, and a Super Victor intake. Some people would say my heads are not the best (AFR often recomended) but it runs 6.8 on motor in the 1/8 in a full weight 90GT with a converter built for nitrous. It runs way better on the gas. If you must buy the engine online I would go with adperformance or fordstrokers. Those guys have a lot invested on Mustang boards.

That Typhoon will choke a 408.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cccharleston
I don't think I would go that route. If you have a good local builder thats what I would do. I have a 408 with a comp cams hydraulic roller, Victor Jr. heads, and a Super Victor intake. Some people would say my heads are not the best (AFR often recomended) but it runs 6.8 on motor in the 1/8 in a full weight 90GT with a converter built for nitrous. It runs way better on the gas. If you must buy the engine online I would go with adperformance or fordstrokers. Those guys have a lot invested on Mustang boards.

That Typhoon will choke a 408.
I actually just recently came across the fordstrockers website and really like the stuff they have and have heard good things, so its nice to have it recomended. And the typhoon intake is the same as the edelbrock performer II intake, you dont think a ported version of that would keep up with the 408, what efi intake would you suggest then?

With the 408 or 418 (ive heard 418 arent any weaker then the 408, "free horsepower")
and a good set of Dart 185's or AFR 195's, a custom cam from fordstrokers, and an good efi and correct maf/injector set up, what kinda numbers would i be looking at?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM
cccharleston
1st Gear Member

I run the Super Victor with the injector hole machined in. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...efi_ford.shtml
The 418 can have clearance issues but if someone reputable does it no problem. I thik Fordstrokers uses Jay Allen for the cams so he should be involved with the head choice. Jay builds Canfield heads and I am not that familier with them. But for an AFR head I'd say 205 or 225 and if I had that setup with a good NA converter 6.2 in the 1/8 on motor at abour 112 mph.
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

to clear up the typhoon is not like the rpm 2 it is like the rpm .

and as far as what cc said i agree fordstrokers or adperformance for a short or longblock

and if your talking about buying the whole motor online then do as what was said and give jim of fordstrokers a call and work out the short block and at the same time him and jay allen and you can decide and figure out the top end and have them set it up and be done with it , get it home drop your intake,dizzy and drop it in and fire it up.

as far as numbers i think most decent built 408's make 500 to the flywheel pretty easily with decent/good parts and pretty much how dep your wallet is is how fast you want to make it...

i also am turning my 351 w into a 408 and have made a few calls/emails to jim to see what we can work out.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

thanks, all help appreciated,

just curious, what is the efi intake of choice if not the performer...
i do want to stick with efi as of now, although could probably be swayed.

Im planning on buying a short block and a custom cam, probably from ford strokers, i may let them do the heads while they are at it, depending on what time period i end up stretching this across
Old 11-06-2008, 03:45 PM
cccharleston
1st Gear Member

The Super Victor in my link is for EFI. You would need the edelbrock fuel rail and an elbow. Then mount your throttle body to the elbow. I run a 4 hole but you would have to change your computer system.here is a pic.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:15 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

^^^nice looking setup there cc

Quick Reply: some questions on my build plan