Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:24 AM
alemcc
1st Gear Member

Default TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

More and more it seems harder to place the car in reverse or first gear. I almost have to slam the shifter into reverse or first, and it makes a horrible noise when i do it. This doesnt happen everytime, but it is annoying cause its basically a new car still. What could this be??
Old 12-19-2006, 01:14 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS

Our transmission does that. You will learn the tricks to get it in to gear. Don't worry about it. For first gear, if you move the shifter back to center, then push it all the way to the side and then forward it should go in easy, and for reverse, put it back in first gear, then quickly into reverse. It is some kind of lock out mechanism that makes it hard to get into reverse sometimes.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:32 PM
GreenGhost

I know how you feel. I just picked up my first mustang last month, an 05. wanted a automatic but this one was a manual. Relearning the driving process associated with a 5 speed is SLOWLY comming back. Oh, also just found out the other day at a "good" dealer that my tranny has had a major rebuild right b4 I got it...thank God its under warrenty for a few more years.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:25 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alemcc

More and more it seems harder to place the car in reverse or first gear. I almost have to slam the shifter into reverse or first, and it makes a horrible noise when i do it. This doesnt happen everytime, but it is annoying cause its basically a new car still. What could this be??
I have not had any of these problems with my manual test drive another one from a from a dealership to compare and see what you think.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:49 AM
KeepSix

i have the same problem aswell. Try puting the shifter into third then fourth then reverse. I found that out in the owners manual, and it seems to work about 90% of the time.I changed the tranny oil a few months ago with royal purple and the problems seem tobe getting progressivly better
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

reverse doesnt have a synchro, and its not a helical style gear. its a spur gear.. when you put it in reverse you push a rod that slids a gear between two other gears.. if one gear isnt lined up just right.. the teeth of each gear will contact each other rather than slide between each other.

the cure. release the brake and let yourself roll a 1/4 inch.. if your on level surface and you wont roll. put it in first, release hte clutch to move you an inch, than go for reverse