Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:29 PM
tomsa55
1st Gear Member

Default RE: question on muffler replacment & hesatation on acceleration

Any time you change the exhaust or intake flow, you should disconnect the battery, only takes about 5 min to reset the PCM. As for the throttle, thats called "recalibration" . Your throttle is a electrical device called a rotary transducer, if you push down on it while starting your car, the calibration can be thrown off. Too recalibrate, turn ignition on, do not start car, wait till the post (power on self testing) is done, about 5 to 8 seconds, then slowly push your gas peddle down, this means don't stomp it, just push it down with your foot to the floor, then release. Turn off ignition. Now start car, following the owners manual guidence, don't push the gas pedal down while starting. Just turn the key to on then start and release. When you push down on the gas pedal, your sending a electical signal to the PCM to open the throttle, the PCM sends a electical signal to a small electric motor on the throttle body to open the throttle plates and to the fuel injectors to increase fuel. So there you have it. The PCM will recalibrate after minor changes to the air flow, like a new airfilter. If you install one of the newer hiflow intakes that claim no pcm tuning required, try this, first install the intake, then drive your car, next unhook battery for about 5 min, then reconnect and drive car, you will be able to tell the difference. The PCM learns about driving conditions and will modify the cars tuning within a fixed range to adjust for different driving conditions.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM
FBullitt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrudolph

Has anybody left the GT exhaust tip as is or have you cut it back?. It looks kind of long on the v6. And does yours contact the rear bumper, mine does, any fix.
I think most people leave the tip length as is. But, you dont want the tip to contact the bumper, I think itcould melt the bumper. I have a little over a quarter inch clearance with mine. I think that is enough. I may adjust to get a little more though, as I am paranoid about damaging the bumper. I think bending the brackets on the muffler, bending the hangers, or drilling out the holes on thehangers along with some washers could get more clearance.

I dont like the extra long tip sticking out, and I might take the muffler off and take into a shop and have it cut to length of the V6 muffler.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I'm taking mine into the shop Monday morning to get my duals installed. I got Pypes x-pipe with GT take offs. I was going to get a muffler shop to do it but today they wanted to give me the run-around. They told me I had to leave my car there parked outside for 3 days! I said NOT!
A friend of mine and client, owns a transmission shop and they build Ford Racing cars. He told me he would do the the install as well as thebumper cut out.