Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

niosy transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM
vinford07pony

Default RE: niosy transmission

I had the same trouble with my 07 manual. It annoyed the heck out of me and I had it back to the dealer many times for it. The Ford factory rep called it normal and would not authorize any rebuilds, repairs or new transmissions. I finally traded the POS in for a GT with a special deal from my dealer.They knew I was unhappy and wanted to keep my business. Some of these V6 transmissions are noisier than others but they all have some noise. Ford does have a newflange availablethat the dealer can install at the rear of the trans where the driveshaft attaches. This new flange has a dampener that will take up some of the driveline slop and eliminate some of the clunking but not all of it. Ask your dealer service manager about it. I will post the part# tomorrow as all my paperwork is at the office.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:52 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

As far as the whirring noise, thats the normal factory sound the t-5 makes when clutch in engaged in neutral and the gears are spinning. It is not bearing noise. There is not a lot of sound insulation between the transmission and cabin. That is the only "defect' involved ...lack of insulation. RP syncromax transmission fluid change will quiet it down considerably.

As far as rpm ranges to shift, you should learn your cars needs and look at Ford's "recommended shift ranges" as novice reading material only. Shift up and down when the load/engine/weight and road conditions warrant it to run in its best torque and power bands. After a while you will learn where the car runs best. I get 27 mpg in town, and a high on the highway of 32.3 mpg. I never push or lug the engine below 1500 rpm or run in 4th below 35 mph, 5th below 45 (with stock 3.31 gears) and never run over 3500 when shifting "normally" in daily driving. Its a feel thing.....not a meet the specs or tech manual ranges thing...
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM
DutchPony

Hey VinFord07Pony, do you have the parts number of that flange you described?

I'm having the same experiences with my manual gearbox that everyone else in this thread describes. Had it checked out by the dealer, did 2 testdrives in other V6 manuals, they all seem to have these noises so I guess it's normal for our cars (not necessarily normal for Ford to not do a better job at noise insulation though). It's especially noticeable driving around town (Washington DC, many stop signs so lots of 1-2 shifts).

RP trans fluid (did anyone else try a different fluid perhaps) and possibly some dynamat around the gearshift area are on my 'to do' list.

Cheers,
DutchPony
Old 11-10-2007, 01:18 PM
nuts4stangs

Hi, I just got here and would really like to know what the part number is for the flange. I live in a small town and the local dealer needs all the help I can give. Thanks for your help
Old 01-26-2008, 11:10 AM
wilsdav

Add us to the list...V6 -5spd Pony Package convertible...drowns out the satelite radio in 1st and 2nd especially...Ford says it was beefed up from our previous 2000 V6-5spd as wanna be GT buyers drove them hard but bought them for reduced insurance costs vs GT. Plausible..I guess. Car is great in every way but this!