Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Gas pedal solution?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

Default Gas pedal solution?

Hey,

Ok, this is my first question to ya'll so bear with me. I've had my '07 Pony for about 6+ months now and ever since I've had it, I've noticed a small annoyance with my gas pedal; it's not a nagging problem, just a minor annoyance I wonder about fixing.

Whenever I push my gas pedal down, I can push it down about an inch or so before the engine begins to move. This is really only a problem when going from a complete stop because I can push it down and then the throttle comes up and I move. My gf didn't know this so when she got in it, she nearly flew backwards into a mailbox (she doesn't drive anymore...) because she wasn't sure when the throttle would kick in. On other car's I've driven ( an '00 mustang V6, and an 05 Dodge 1500 Ram Daytona) the throttle kicks in right when you tap the gas, that's what I'm after. Hell, I can even rest my foot on the gas and not get any response. Can I change this? And if I can't, what causes it?

Thanks,
-Alloyed
Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Pantera72
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas pedal solution?

Do a search in the 2005, 20006, 2007 forums. Search words "throttle lag".
Old 06-26-2007, 10:48 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Alloyed
Whenever I push my gas pedal down, I can push it down about an inch or so before the engine begins to move. This is really only a problem when going from a complete stop because I can push it down and then the throttle comes up and I move. My gf didn't know this so when she got in it, she nearly flew backwards into a mailbox (she doesn't drive anymore...) because she wasn't sure when the throttle would kick in. On other car's I've driven ( an '00 mustang V6, and an 05 Dodge 1500 Ram Daytona) the throttle kicks in right when you tap the gas, that's what I'm after. Hell, I can even rest my foot on the gas and not get any response. Can I change this? And if I can't, what causes it?

Thanks,
-Alloyed
If you go with a tuner (SCT Xcal2 for example) you can get rid of the throttle lag. WhenI put on my C&L intake and had Lidio at Alternative Auto install his 89 octane tune the car was completely different - and the throttle lag was gone.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

now to really answer your question

it is because your new stang has no throttle cable. it has a sensor mounted on the pedal, which sends pedal position signals to the computer, which tells the throttle body how much to open up. the mustangs generally have very little to no "lag", if you think yours has excessive lag, mention it to the dealer, and they may reflash your computer to help it. or, you can get a custom tune...

btw, if you think your stang lags, try an 04 f150, fords first mass production venture into drive by wire, you can floor it, and let up, and NOTHING happens...
Old 06-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: takotruckin

now to really answer your question

it is because your new stang has no throttle cable. it has a sensor mounted on the pedal, which sends pedal position signals to the computer, which tells the throttle body how much to open up. the mustangs generally have very little to no "lag", if you think yours has excessive lag, mention it to the dealer, and they may reflash your computer to help it. or, you can get a custom tune...

btw, if you think your stang lags, try an 04 f150, fords first mass production venture into drive by wire, you can floor it, and let up, and NOTHING happens...
Ahaha, never driven one...but now I have to. Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure this was throttle lag or something else. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm planning on a C & L intake and a tune down the road anyway so this just gives me one more reason to do it. Thanks for the help.