Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

i need some knowledge on dual exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Dirty Jersey Mustang

Default i need some knowledge on dual exhaust.

I have very little knowledge aboutthe way some things workbut recently found myself wanting to know more. Especially since I want duals on my mustang. I understand the different types, like axle-back, and cat back. But what is true duals exactly, What's the difference in the pipe setup, such as y and x. I know what they are but what difference do they make in performance and sound. So if ya could, tell me which brands make good kits, and what each kind of set up will do. thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i need some knowledge on dual exhaust.

Repost this in the 4.0L V6specific section and u'll get a lot of help!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I went through a few exhaust setups, as follows:

1. Single GT take off
2. Magnaflow Dual Kit (Y Pipe)
3. Magnaflow Dual Kit (X pipe conversion)
4. GT take off pipes, Dual American Thunders & X Pipe
5. Powerhouse turbo w/Y Pipe and Dual American Thunders
6. Powerhouse turbo w/Y Pipe and Dual American Thunders w/JBA shorties and no cat

I did back to back testing on my car when it was NA, of a Y pipe and X pipe. The difference was 2rwhp, and that is considered a 0 gain on a dyno due to 2hp attributing to nearly anything, air quality, heat soak, etc. The tuner (Excessive) and other tuners said on the NA car, an H or X pipe offer no gains, and are for sound only. Case and point, owners with a single bolt on muffler, a tune and a cai make the same gains as someone with H, Y or X pipe dual exhaust. The stock V6 muffler is restrictive, thats what frees up some flow.

Another example, Fitbikeco, a member on this forum, runs 14.4 or 14.3 I believe, all day long with just a single muffler, a CAI and a tune from Doug. This is on street tires and stock rear end and suspension.

On an FI car, I did a test with my turbo with duals, and then with a single 3inch catback system at Powerhouse. The car made the same power with both setups.

So in the end, go with what sounds best to you. Then if you get serious later down the road, you can go headers, high flow cats, etc.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
fullmonte60
2nd Gear Member

i just have a pypesexhaust.com single axle back & a k/n with a tune. it's sweet as is. when i'm ready for a power adder i'll do the bigger t/b, duals & headers.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

For good brands, ford racing has a kit.