Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

T-Loc absolutley necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: T-Loc absolutley necessary?

No, I am definitely for you getting it done. It is a great mod.

I just don't see how breaking a T-lok will send you into a guardrail. I guess if you break it while turning?

I am not sure, but I have broken one...while going in a straight line.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Praline
1st Gear Member

Oh, I see. Yeah, I guess it would be easier to fishtail. God, and it's alredy bad enough in winter here. Last January, I had to put it in 1st gear and drive like 5mph for 2 miles just so I didn't skid with this car! What I was really confused about was where all this concern about crashing into a guardrail came from in the first place! Hmmm, maybe If i crash it just right, I can get my ins company to pay for a cool front end.. just kidding. I really need a gt500 rear bumper. any way to fanangle that?
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Praline

If I get a set of 3.73's, do I really, really have to get a t-loc installed? I don't race, just normal street driving. I want some added pick-up is all. I mean, If I don't floor it, and I'm not spinning wheels, why do I need one? Will I be spinning with the bigger gears at half-throttleoff the red-light?? Thanks.
You will want t-lokor some type of limited slip differential with a different gear ratio. It will much easier to spin the tires with the 3.73 vs the stock and with your current open differential setup you will never see the benefit of the gear upgrade on hard take-offs.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:57 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Can you still spin the tires with the T-Loc ?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

Can you still spin the tires with the T-Loc ?
Of course - it's just that it takes a lot more to do it.

As for the concern about driving a t-loc in snow, it's not a problem. I've owned two other Mustangs, both of which had a limited slip rear differential. It gives you more traction to start with, and that's the big benefit, regardless of road conditions.The difference is much less noticeable when you're driving at speed (similar to using it on dry pavement).

Old 07-15-2008, 04:15 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Is Detroit Tru Lok better or the same as that T-Lok? Which one would I have to get if I went the turbo charger route, 3.73 or 4.10?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

I don't know which is better but if you are going to get a turbo or supercharger it will be better to keep the stock gears and build you rear end up.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mr.Bape

Is Detroit Tru Lok better or the same as that T-Lok? Which one would I have to get if I went the turbo charger route, 3.73 or 4.10?
its alot better, the detroit has been pushed well into the 400 rwhp area without problems, the ford tlok was originally designed for the 120hp bronco2/ranger......
Old 07-19-2008, 06:40 AM
supernatural

I went with the Ford Racing t-loc. It is a fairly inexpensive MOD. It could be done for $600 parts and labor. I say go for it.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 AM
thirblig

The original quote was mis-quoted. If your T-Loc fails, it'll almost certainly be because the clutches wear out. If this happens then the worst case scenario will be that it behaves as an open differential. That is, only one wheel will spin.

Any diff that locks or has limited slip characteristics can cause loss of control but this'll be due to excessive power for the given situation

ORIGINAL: Praline

ORIGINAL: shb5007

A broken t-lok sent a member into a guard rail?
Thanks for the replies. I'll go with FRPP 3.73's and a T-loc. Now, What does the above statement mean? It is supposed to discourage me from getting anything modded? I mean, there's like a hundred parts on our cars that, if broken, could send us into a guard rail.

Quick Reply: T-Loc absolutley necessary?