Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

auto to manual

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
tfyzorg2
2nd Gear Member

Default auto to manual

Listen I know this topic has been beaten, and pounded, into the freakin ground.. but I gotta ask it again
to clarify for all the other people wondering, including me.

I have a mustang v6 auto, and with the way the economy is, and the way my finances are. it looks like im stuck with it. I have no way of trading for a gt as this car is almost payed off, so please dont be a smartass and tell me to get a manual gt.

so what im wanting to do is modify my v6 and change its transmission..

does someone know a cost effective transmission swap, that could handle a supercharged,turboed v6 engine? (a tranny rated to say.. 400hp would be safe i guess?)

also, I dont think anyone has ever listed WHAT was needed to do a complete swap. I understand I need the pedal assembley, new ecu, etc. but WHERE could i obtain these items? primarily the pedal assembley is what ive been looking for forever...

please someone share your knowledge with me
Old 07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: auto to manual

It's probably not cost effective to swap out the trans. The T-5 manual is rated at 300ft/lbs torque. Flogging it at the track with ~400 ft/lbs is going to break it eventually. It can be strengthed somewhat but that entails additional expenses. The auto is the same as the auto in the GT with a smaller spline. As Rygen and others have demonstrated it can take considerably more abuse than the manual. Swapping in a stronger manual such as a TKO will entail modifications to some if not all ofthe linkage, driveshaft, flywheel, clutch, and bell housings. Since the auto is the same as the GT's it can be modified in the same way as the GT's to strengthen it and improve the shifting. Modified autos produce better times as they can shift faster and more consistently than a person rowing gears.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:11 PM
tfyzorg2
2nd Gear Member

im not saying id be pushing 400whp to it, im thinking more 300whp max, but i was just saying 400 to be safe,

but lets say i put a t-5 on my stang, would it hold up to a 4.0 with a x-charger and hold up to hard launches (with a 8.8 rear of course, i know the 7.5 wouldnt handle hard stuff)
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

I can not get into the what is better here with Trans, But think of this your Auto was made on the same line as my Manual so if you had access to all the parts for a manual like from a junk yard why can you not remove everything you need and convert a Auto to a Manual If you do the work or you have the money to pay for it to be done I would think that you intend to keep the car so I can over look the coast thing here. I would like to have a better drive train under my car too. A Cobra 5 speed Manual trany has to be better then what I have in my V6 I see on TV all the time where they convert tranys to fit motors.