Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Supercharger and our 4.0's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:11 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

To change the pulley on the voretch, I prefer to remove the unit from the car and with a helper, swap out the pulley. I don't change it for different uses though, just leave the same pulley on all the time.

I monthly engage in bracket racing at a local track, and an automatic with a supercharger can be very very consistent. (that's all I'll say, because some of my competitors are on this site .)

Regarding the 7.5, I ran 373s with a T-Loc with a LPW girdle for almost a year, with several track visits, and it held up fine; but that was on street tires. I wouldn't run drag radials or slicks with the 7.5 and over 300 hp though; that's where the 8.8 came in.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
To change the pulley on the voretch, I prefer to remove the unit from the car and with a helper, swap out the pulley. I don't change it for different uses though, just leave the same pulley on all the time.

I monthly engage in bracket racing at a local track, and an automatic with a supercharger can be very very consistent.
I did not realize that the unit had to be removed to change pulleys
But not to fear plan B ...put the 10psi pulley on and leave it on all the time I would just have to install an adjustable blow off valve between the vortech and throttle body that way I could have any psi of boost desired (up to ten that is ) That may work out even better so that I could lower the boost down to 5 psi on the street If lower octane gas poses a problem at some point on a hot 112 degrees day .

As for the bracket races . I have not competed in bracket class in a mustang (YET) but I used to do it in a 89 celica GTS with 5 speed on street tires .now thats a challenge . I spent all the test and tune nights perfecting shift points and constant launches . Still a lot of fun. I will say it was hard to get in the money when your competitor dialed in a 12 flat and he ran a 12 flat
Old 03-25-2009, 02:58 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clintster77
I did not realize that the unit had to be removed to change pulleys
But not to fear plan B ...put the 10psi pulley on and leave it on all the time I would just have to install an adjustable blow off valve between the vortech and throttle body that way I could have any psi of boost desired (up to ten that is ) That may work out even better so that I could lower the boost down to 5 psi on the street If lower octane gas poses a problem at some point on a hot 112 degrees day .
Uh, changing boost with a different bov like a turbo wastegate? I suppose you could do that. I would think your tune would need to be changed as well to compensate for the reduced or increased expected air flow at WOT rpms (to compensate with appropriate fuel and timing).
Max boost doens't come in until you are WOT; if you are partial throttle even at higher rpms, the bov will be open. The loss of vacuum when you go wot is what closes the bov and gives you the most boost at the intake.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:48 PM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I still have my 7.5 rear. I use a T/A performance girdle and an auburn with 4:10's. I tore off the teeth of the gears on the t-loc I installed after installing the 10psi vortech and aftercooler. I don't recommend keeping the 7.5 though.