Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need a question answered fast

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Default Need a question answered fast

Hey guys. I have been looking into CAI's for my car and was set on the k&n untill I saw that I would have to cut the crank case vent hose in order for the kit to work. I need to keep the car as stock as possible so that I can install the factory box back in if I needed to for warranty purposes. Can anyone suggest a kit that doesn't need a tune and any modification of hoses or anything like that? I have a buddy that is going to help me install but I need to find a kit that will work.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:24 PM
whitestang07
2nd Gear Member

I have a s&b thats perfect for you needs no tune let me know
Old 05-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

I just wanted to mention also that it's against federal law to "void" the warranty due to any modification. The law was passed in 1975 which was after the greatest boom and bust of car modification in America, surpassing even todays trend. At this time warranties were voided and this was a real result to almost every enthusiast. now thanks to lobbying exclusively by the SEMA organization, which represents most companies that manufacture modifications, OEM manufacturers can no longer void car warranties due to aftermarket parts. Obviously if a modifications breaks something mechanical you have to fix what broke just like if you damage your car's body it's not warrantied even though your car body has a warranty.

Law also requires that manufacturers have a warranty arbitration process which has consumer advocacy in mind. Ford actually has the simplest to use system where they've established a 1800 number to call something in to Ford Corporate. ask your dealer about where to arbitrate your warranty claims.

Some dealers might be uneducated but even ones that directly violate federal law out of ignorance won't care about intakes.

Also there have been over 5,000 threads on this forum backing this subject up and I'm not pulling that number out of my *** but at one point I actually looked it up.

no tuner intakes have been proven in at least 3 measured side by side cases to be as good as a stock intake with a drop in filter. The filter makes the biggest difference, most intakes are designed in rented warehouses by people with no engineering background, I know several examples of this for the mustang, the stock Ford intake is designed by trained engineers and is often better than an aftermarket intake in terms of flow. Even the ones that require a tune aren't the most cost effective mods you can do for a similar price.

In conclusion I hope you learn that:

You're wasting $300 with a K&N intake. Nobody is going to void your warranty for something like this and if they do it's against the law and if they do it at a Ford dealership Ford has the easiest known resolution process of all other dealers.

You could:

Pick up 7.1 hp with a K&N intake

Total: $300 , 7.1 hp, increase of 3%

OR:

Pick up 6 hp with a K&N drop in filter
Pick up 21 hp with an average priced unlocked used tuner and tune for BAMA chips

Total: $365 ($445 new), 27 hp, increase of 13%

Last edited by Legion5; 05-04-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:12 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

The install for the K&N is quite tame; you only trim down the vent hose so it fits; if you really needed to put the stock back on, you can simply slide a piece of 5/8" hose over the cut stock plastic line to splice it back together if you must revert to the stock intake.

Most warranty work would not be affected by a CAI; I had my K&N on for 2 years, with multiple warranty trips to the dealer with no hassles, although none of the warranty items involved the intake or tune.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

I have a Steeda intake. It essentially just replaces he airbox, keeping the stock hose. Very easy install. If you need waranty work, just replace the intake witht the stock airbox, tune back to stock, and your good to go. You are wasting your time and money getting an intake without a tune imo.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

i'm doing a little at a time. The tune will come after the exhaust which is next.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:36 PM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

He didn't ask for anything about voiding the warranty so why do people post stupid stuff
Old 05-08-2009, 02:43 AM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

vmptuning.com also sells a cai that uses stock parts. It is very easy to install and with an Xcal tuner sells for $449.00. It is also very easy to reinstall the stock airbox & tune so you can take you car in for warranty work. Don't waste you money on a cai that doesn't require a tune as it could turn on the check engine light ESPECIALLY if you upgrade the exhaust system too. Both mods can lean out the engine more then the computer can compensate for and this is why you need a tune(reflash). Our V6 Mustangs really respond to these 3 mods.