Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

"New (to me) 06' Mustang V6, mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 12:38 AM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Default "New (to me) 06' Mustang V6, mods?

Heya

i just got a 06 mustang v6, it is 100% stock except for tint LAMO

I dont know what to do to it first, THis is my first car and im stooked to get a pony car, to bad its not a 65 gt , but its what i got my budget is somewhat tight but not a limiting factor.

what are the top 5-10 mods i should do first

i was thinking exhaust or CAI but idk,

now muffler wise i dont want anything even REMOTELY ricey, its a mustang, even a v6 deserves some respect and be treated like the pony she is.

so any advice is much apreciated

btw all mods should be street leagle (DUH!!)
Old 12-15-2009, 02:16 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

A custom tune will do wonders! Get one with a CAI.
And congrats on getting your Mustang!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

REad the info in the forum stickies and use the search feature before you buy ANYTHING. A basic understanding about what works, what doesn't and how things work together are needed before blowing money on useless mods.

Without going FI, the CAI & tune combo (providing the tunes are written buy any of the better shops like Brenspeed, BamaChips, Tillman) are you're biggest bang-for-the-buck. Other useful mods are gears, UDP's, aluminum DS; mods that don't ADD crank HP but reduce the parasitic losses between the crank and the wheels resulting in a few more RWHP.

There are also a ton of visual mods ("show") that are about as sweet as performance mods ("go"). You'll learn about these also.

You'll also want to get familiar with the TSB's listed in the stickies so you are aware of the many issues with the S197. Although you're out of warranty, you may still need to address a few of these to prevent some serious long-term problems (get familiar with the water leak and fuel pump TSB's specifically).

Edit: Don't get excited over exhaust work. Other than sound, you'll gain little performance for all the effort.

Welcome to the forum and try not to go broke.

Last edited by Nuke; 12-15-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:28 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I'm a personal fan of the American Thunder mufflers, might wanna check em out. The usual first mods are CAI with tune and dual exhaust. Those three mods I guess are a great start IMO. There are so so so many visual mods i can't even really give you a starting point. check out american muscle and v6mustangstuff. Good luck and happy modding.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

CAi and tune. Look into Pypes dual exhaust if you're on a budget. Love mine.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 PM
laterider
2nd Gear Member

I'd go CAI/Tune first, then possibly gears..
Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

For performance get a cai/tune(vmp,bama,etc.)and a decent sounding exhaust. A good tune will really wake up your V6 Mustang and makes driving it much more enjoyable. Add gears/T-lok and an aluminum drive shaft and she will really get up & go! Check out newtakeoff.com for lots of GT parts(at good prices)that fit our V6 Mustangs. Good luck with your Mustang!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
bobbob
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much for the advice, the CAI/ tune ive pretty much pickednarrowed down tot a few choices

so now its the exhaust that im workin on im debating between glasspacks or flwmster 40's

ive heard more good things about the 40's but dont like the extra cahs to much but W/E

any advice for specific mufflers? i want a nice deep pur, something that when u hear it u know its a stang.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have the FRPP #M5230V6 dual exhaust kit with the GTA mufflers. It sounds just great! And no drone! Unfortunately you can't get the #M5230V6 kit with GTAs anymore. They come with the GTB Bullit mufflers now. I've heard they sound good too. As for the cai, pick the one you think looks the best. All cai's are pretty close in producing power.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:31 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

GT take-off passengers side muffler ForTheCheapWin.
M/T for sure. Auto is same sound level as V6 muffler.
Or a GT take-off cat back true dual mod with the H pipe.

And get a GT 20mm sway bar under the rear if it has none. (You dont specify PP or not).
And the GT 34mm front sway bar swap is popular.
And the poly bushings for the GT sways and the shifter as well, its cheap, cheap, cheap.
Sequentials are da bomb.
The take-off GT front brake upgrade rocks but requires 17" or larger rims.

Last edited by 157dB; 12-19-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: "New (to me) 06' Mustang V6, mods?