Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Does Anyone Here Drive With a Semi Automatic Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have no doubt that the majority will be fine. I simply don't trust ANY domestic based on my roughly 1.25 million miles of experience with both domestic and foreign...
Old 12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
capocaccia

The answer, is yes It can be done.

But, if you look at car technology today there is nobody using that crap anymore. I mean, its fun to drive around with no clutch acting like you are shifting your car but it isnt practical at all nor will offer a gain in performance.

Most of these transmissions have RPM shift limits and will require you to get a new CPU as well. By RPM limits I mean, when you are trying to drive it like a stick, it wont do so. It slows down shift time when RPMs are high in order to save the clutch.

Basically, if you want the performance of a manual, get a true manual. You would be getting a "Manumatic" transmission. A cross between auto and manuals. A Semi Auto transmission is known as a manual. Some manumatic and semi-automatic transmissions allow the driver to have full control of gear selection, while many will intervene by shifting automatically at the low end and/or high end of the engine's operating range, depending on throttle position. Manumatics and most semi-automatic transmissions also provide the option of operating in the same manner as a conventional automatic transmission by allowing the transmission's computer to select gear changes.

To break this all down, get a manual if you want performance. Install the manumatic if you must but it wont gain you any performance, street cred, or anything at all besides the ability to shift at the complete wrong shift points.