Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Dual exhaust for an 08 v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Fitment is what you pay for.

I installed pypes on my old '00 v6 and the fitment was horrible. I had to cut about 3-4" off one side of the X and then I still had to take it to a shop to get things even remotely to fit. It took two guys on a lift to rotate everything into place.

I've heard the same for the 05-09 models so I doubt they will have improved for the 2010.
I've heard that pypes is about the worst company fitment-wise
Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Blue07V6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marky82
I think it's more of the mufflers (and Ford name) that make the price that high. They aren't the regular GT's, they're GTB's from the Bullitt Mustang. I also heard this kit had the best fitment and I'll be installing myself. No shop in the CT area will fabricate a custom X or H pipe and include the two axle back pipes along with mufflers for $400. Although I do agree with you, it's more than it should be no matter how you look at it.

//mark
Interesting, I live in a small town where there are several muffler shops. They are all around $400,that covers Xpipe, true duals, and flowmasters, a little more for magnaflows, but still under $500 for pretty much whatever you want to go with. And the work I have had done at the shop I use is very high quality.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

A good, inexpensive, way to have a nice set a duals is visit a local muffler shop and get a quote for a custom X-pipe or H-pipe by them. then pick up a set of mufflers that you like. (GT take offs are pretty nice and cheap! i picked up gt take offs from craigslist for about $50.)i painted them black and they look real nice. my total cost was about $300 for labor, custom h-pipe, bumper cut, and install of the mufflers + $50 for GT take offs. im very happy with this set up. hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you DO go the GT takeoff route, be sure to get takeoffs from a GT with a manual tranny. The axlebacks are different between the manual and auto with those from the manual carrying a different p/n and being a bit less restrictive.

IMO, you should put that money towards a CAI & custom tune. At least that will gain you RWHP. The duals will not.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
kechke

The selling price of the newtakeoff junk is low but so is the fitment, read this before you shell out good money for an inferior product.

After confirming with both Diversified Marketing/Newtakeoff.com and "Pypes" that their True dual V-6 exhaust system would work on a lowered 2005 I ordered and installed the true duals kit from Newtakeoff.com on my 05 last year. Ever since then I have had axel to mid pipe clearance issues ever since. Just about every bump in the road would cause the axel to slam up against the exhaust pipe.

I called Pypes technical help department and they said is no way that the axel will hit the pipe above it. I showed them pictures of the dents in the pipe to prove it. After many hours on the phone with them and dozens of my install photos they could not offer me a solution other than bring it to them in Pennsylvania for an evaluation, an 800 mile round trip for me - - good thing I don't live in California.

The situation was finally resolved by Da Silvas Racing shop in Toronto but certainly not with any help from Pypes or Newtakeoff. It turns out that the "Pypes" mid pipes are junk, and neither company is willing to take ownership of the midpipes being out of specification.

Below are some pictures I took of the useless junk that was in the Newtakeoff/Pypes kit. After seeing my photos the miopic tech boys at Pypes still say they have a product that works.
I ended up using a set of GT Ford mid pipes and now have plenty of axel to pipe clearance.
There is a 3 inch difference in the rise between the Ford O/E and Pypes part, you gotta be dumber than a bag of hammers not to see that the "Pypes" mid pipe is not going to work.

The last photo is Joe Da Silva holding the Ford pipe beside the Pypes part for comparison. Joe who also writes technical articles for Mustang magazines is very well known in Mustang tuning and drag circles. He even tried to talk to Pypes teckkies for me about the problem and they blew him off for intervening, some customer service they have.

Any one with a lowered Mustang should seriously reconsider using that system, even a stock Mustang will have interference issues at extended suspension travel.
IMO if you want a trouble free install go Ford with GT mufflers, they sound great.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:15 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I used the Pypes setup with GT take-offs and they went on fine and sound good. I did have a small rattle on the passenger side that I had to use the Mig welder to stop. The pipe was just a bit too big and the clamp would not squeeze it enought.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

FRPP cost a little more but fit perfectly with no clearance problems on lowered cars. They currently ship with GTB mufflers which are quieter then the earlier version that shipped with GTA mufflers. Another very big positive is there is no drone at all with the FRPP kit. Drone can be a crap shoot with other kits and also custom made/installed systems.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:26 PM
silverskoundrel
1st Gear Member

hey man the new take off deal set with the xpipe and gt takeoff mufflers sounds great on my 05 v6 theres a picture of it in my albums idk if its to late to tell you but just letting you know
Old 01-17-2011, 04:17 AM
BClark51

I would go to a shop. I have Catback exhaust 2.5 inch piping with magnapacks and it sounds great, was a little high till i put headers on it tho. It was aroung 250 too, much cheaper then ordering a bolt on kit