Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New headers??

Old 01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
09blackmamba
1st Gear Member

Default New headers??

so my 2009 v6 has a dual roush exhaust but stock headers and im looking at installing some headers, so i was wondering what headers you guys would recommend for me? thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
MadStang40
4th Gear Member

Installed Pypes polished shorties from AM last weekend and no problems yet... (knocks on wood). Decent price, decent exhaust note, and a noticeable increased throttle response off the line. Went with Pypes since BBK reviews around the web seem to be more on the pessimistic side...
Old 01-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Gummy

I have a set of Pypes shorty headers as well haven't installed yet but like MadStang40
said I bought them because of reviews from other people that liked them and said were kinda easy to install and they are pretty well built very thick flanges. I got mine in SS but got them ceramic coated from JetHot
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Noodle23
2nd Gear Member

Put my JBA shortys on this past week and they make it sound great with my flowmasters and h pipe. Idon't know what indiana's smog regulations are but the JBA's pass cali. law so thats got to count for something. Also better throttle response.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:12 PM
markkk
2nd Gear Member

long tube headers if your looking for low end torque (Lower RPMS)
Shorty headers for higher end horsepower (Higher RPMS)

Last edited by markkk; 01-20-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Shorty are easier and cheaper to install. Longtubes require O2 sensor extenders.

I bought mine on ebay. the M2 $99.99 ones. A Chinese knock off of the JBA. They are cheaper and just as good, except they aren't American

Sound gets better with either
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Nice Pony
2nd Gear Member

I recently installed a set of Pypes Stainless Steel shorties. They are very pretty with a beautiful polish job but I wanted to keep some of the heat out of the engine compartment so I had them satin black thermal barrier coated inside and out by Performance Coatings in Auburn Washington. The coating is good to 2000°. I like the way they are built having welds on both of sides of the very thick flanges unlike some of the competition. The fit of the Pypes is perfect and the flanges were very flat allowing the use of the superior stock all stainless steel manifold gaskets. Use the stock studs also because the are also superior to the hardware supplied in the kit. Just for the hell of it I also used NordLock Stainless washers and ARP 12 point stainless nuts. I had little too no noticeable difference in the sound after the install.

Last edited by Nice Pony; 01-21-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Had Mac ceramic coated longtubes. No o2 extensions were needed for the front sensors.
Custom-built the pipes back to the mid-pipes, putting in high-flow cats, and extending the wiring to the rear sensors.
The headers were very nice, pretty easy to install.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:07 AM
DarkGaV6
2nd Gear Member

I have a set of pacesetter shorties. Just have not got around to install them. I got them off eBay for a good price. To those who installed them themselves did you install from the top or bottom. Looks like a bit of a hassle on the passenger side.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I put the car on ramps and drop the pipes in from the top during install. Only tough spot I had was around the oil dipstick but we got it and haven't had any issues with it. My brother and I did it in 2 hours I think. some of the old bolts didn't want to come off, and the EGR was tough too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New headers??