Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New headers??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

grim you need to lose more weight! please weigh them if you decide to go that route. I forgot to weigh mine when I took them off. I have since sold them to a junk yard.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:26 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Will do JCON!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
mrperple

I was thinking of doing headers next(just did dual exhaust). fairly new to working on cars, so would it be wise to have someone install them for me or could I tackle it myself?? haven't decided on which to get get yet. either going w/ JBA or Pypes shortties. A little advice would be much appreciated..
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Well, I put my JBA's on over the weekend. Install was straightforward. Only problem I had was tightening 2 bolts on the driver's side and one on the passenger's due to the curvature of the tubes. These required hand tightening and was a PIA but worth the blood and sweat.

Road test: I did notice an improvement in acceleration. To the point that I may have to eat my own words about exhaust mods on an N/A 4.0. If these headers made a noticeable improvement (and they did; judging by how far I laid tire at WOT compared to pre-headers), perhaps duals do also as many have stated?

Anyone with both headers and duals comment on seat-dyno gains? Did duals provide a similar seat-dyno improvement as the headers?

I was seriously looking at this from an aesthetic, sound, and weight standpoint, and was pleasantly surprised at the improved throttle and accel response!

BTW, I weighed the stock headers and they were ~ 10lbs each. The JBA's were ~ 5lbs each. So the JBA's are 1/2 the weight of the stock irons. Not bad for the tally
Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DarkGaV6
I have a set of pacesetter shorties. Just have not got around to install them. I got them off eBay for a good price. To those who installed them themselves did you install from the top or bottom. Looks like a bit of a hassle on the passenger side.
i went with some ebay stainless knock offs myself. 115.00 shipped. the pass side is the easy side. i jacked it up and removed the cat nuts and dropped the y pipe from below. everything else was from the top. pretty easy install really. i removed my wires and the cai, one bolt for the dipstick and it pulls up and out of the way. you will need a 1/4" longer bolt to re install the dip stick tube cause of the flange thickness( its metric too). its easier to just remove the egr tube, connect it at the header first, then connect it at the top by the tb. i re used the oem manifold studs too. you`ll have to bend the coil bracket just a little( tweek it) to go over the flange too, not a big deal. pretty straight forward, r&r.....you can tell by looking at them and measuring, they are gonna flow much better than the cast iron, and look a ton better too. i`m running a jba stainless h pipe kit and gt takeoffs. i do feel the exhaust made a nice gain in the seat of the pants test

Last edited by amustangrocks; 03-27-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
amustangrocks
2nd Gear Member

well, i thought i had my 30 days and 50 posts so i could post a pic, but not yet i guess. as soon as i can, i`ll post some pics.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by amustangrocks
i went with some ebay stainless knock offs myself. 115.00 shipped. the pass side is the easy side. i jacked it up and removed the cat nuts and dropped the y pipe from below. everything else was from the top. pretty easy install really. i removed my wires and the cai, one bolt for the dipstick and it pulls up and out of the way. you will need a 1/4" longer bolt to re install the dip stick tube cause of the flange thickness( its metric too). its easier to just remove the egr tube, connect it at the header first, then connect it at the top by the tb. i re used the oem manifold studs too. you`ll have to bend the coil bracket just a little( tweek it) to go over the flange too, not a big deal. pretty straight forward, r&r.....you can tell by looking at them and measuring, they are gonna flow much better than the cast iron, and look a ton better too. i`m running a jba stainless h pipe kit and gt takeoffs. i do feel the exhaust made a nice gain in the seat of the pants test
I did the headers from ebay which are JBA replicas and then 5 months later I went GT dual exhaust. It does multiply. Not much of an over gain that I could feel since I didn't go to redline in top gear but in the low and mid range there is a noticeable improvement. Mid range feels so much better and passing on the road is smoother.