Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Advice on where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Default Advice on where to start?

Hello everyone

I have a 2008 Pony Package. Had it for about a month. I want to go slow due to budget, so just wanted to get opinions about some mods.

Should I get a CAI and Tuner or should I get a new muffler/exhaust and a K & N performance filter and save for the CAI/Tuner combo.

I really would like to have better sound, but picking up a few horses would be great. Will I regret going single exhaust replacement? What all needs to be done to convert to dual? I have a cousin that can handle the work if the change is difficult(from what I've read there is cutting invloved and I would not be comfortable without help). But I would feel ok swapping the muffler.

Any thoughts from people who have already made these choices?
Old 03-28-2011, 02:01 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

In all honesty start with the CAI/tuner, then do the work on the exhaust, duals will give you a better sound plus it just looks better as well, I did the exhaust work myself and its quite easy to do, you would need an x or h pipe, as well as a gt drivers side mide pipe, hanger brackets for the drivers side and a clamp, or you can buy a decent dual exhaust from newtakeoff.com, you would have to cut the bumper unless you can get your hands on a gt bumper. It all depends on what you want most, if it was me I would start with the cai/tuner combo, American Muscle has a great promo with free bama tunes as well.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

cai and tuner then exhaust
Old 03-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

CAI & tune for the power gain, then exhaust to improve tone (no to very minimal power gain power gain). Forget drop-in filters, regardless if you would keep it or upgrade.

More power mods would include UDP's and aluminum DS. Also consider gears.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

What they said
Old 03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Franchise-SZ
1st Gear Member

Here is a question....

If he went exhaust without a tuner/cai ...Would it effect the performance or sound of the dual exhaust?
Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Peshields
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Franchise-SZ
Here is a question....

If he went exhaust without a tuner/cai ...Would it effect the performance or sound of the dual exhaust?
performance minimally, sound, yes. It would still sound good without cai/tune, mine does, but I've heard with CAI/tune it gets a bit deeper/rumbly-er. lol
some of it (sound) depends on what mufflers the OP gets. Whether he goes with the Pypes kit which uses GT takeoffs or uses flowmasters, borla, etc..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:40 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

'Cheapest' yet effective exhaust mod is to get a GT takeoff for passenger side and replace the stock V6 muffler; you'll feel a difference!

DOnt bother with a K&N filter. Do a C&I and tuner at the same time.
Exhaust mods can be done before or after the tune; my first mod was dual exhaust, then C&I and tune.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice. Where is the best place to find GT take offs for the exhaust. I went to the site that was recomended, but there was only one pair for sale and they were from a 2005. I don't want something that was used for 3-4 years. If I did buy the pair is it ok to just replce the stock muffler then add x-pipes and the other muffler later?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 AM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Leave it stock. You're gonna spend a crap load of money for about 10 hp. It's not worth it. Better off just putting some nice wheels on the thing and call it a day. You want serious performance gains? You're looking at several thousand dollars for a supercharger or turbo kit. Otherwise just trade it for a GT.

Quick Reply: Advice on where to start?