Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Advice on where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
JimC

Check out Mustang Enthusiast magazine from about two years ago. They did an article on the "Top 10 Upgrades for the V6". Several members at www. mustangcollective.com contributed input
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Leave it stock. You're gonna spend a crap load of money for about 10 hp. It's not worth it. Better off just putting some nice wheels on the thing and call it a day. You want serious performance gains? You're looking at several thousand dollars for a supercharger or turbo kit. Otherwise just trade it for a GT.
OK, but is $200 worth the difference in sound that a flowmaster will make?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whitehorse10
Leave it stock. You're gonna spend a crap load of money for about 10 hp. It's not worth it. Better off just putting some nice wheels on the thing and call it a day. You want serious performance gains? You're looking at several thousand dollars for a supercharger or turbo kit. Otherwise just trade it for a GT.
Not necessarily. You can see pretty significant differences in how the car drives with just a few mods (gears, CAI, tune) that would run around $1500 total. If you want serious power, then yes, you'll need a pretty hefty checking account. But there ARE quite a few mods for a 4.0 that are "worth it"
Old 03-30-2011, 04:20 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

You can get everything you need for dual exhaust here for only $299.99;

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/products.asp?cat=47

ANYTHING sounds better than the wimpy stock V6 muffler! I'm so glad I made the switch! Looks and Sounds SOOOOOOO much better now!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hotwheelracer
OK, but is $200 worth the difference in sound that a flowmaster will make?
It's all a matter of opinion Hotwheelracer. In my opinion, I figured out pretty quick that most of the so called entry level performance mods for this car are more about a fool and his money than they are any actual performance gains. You might shave a tenth or two off of your times, but in my opinion you're going to spend more money than it's worth to get there.

If I were you I'd try to find someone who has a 4.0 with aftermarket exhaust before I shelled out the money. A lot of them sound good down low in the rpm range but when you push the car up around 3500 or more they don't sound good at all. In addition you run the risk of losing some of your off the line low end grunt.

As I said, its all a matter of opinion. If you think the very minimal performance gains are worth the money you'll spend to get them then by all means go for it. But for serious performance gains you'll need to start looking at things like stage 3 heads, super chargers and turbos. Tweaking the tune isn't going to get you there. Either that or just trade for a GT and get all of those gains and still have a warranty as well.

One thing you should always keep in mind about most of these online Mustang forums is that they are frequented by guys who love to modify their cars. There's nothing wrong with that mind you but it does mean that when you show up and ask "to mod or not to mod?" you are almost always going to have a bunch of guys telling you "hell yes you should mod the car." Take it with a grain of salt. There's pro's and con's to modding your car. In addition, the default point of view among most of them is going to be that the stock version of the car somehow sucks or is greatly lacking and the only way to fix it is to throw gobs of money and lots of mods at the thing. Yet it was good enough for them the buy in the first place? Think about it. Consider the possibility that the guys over at Ford did a pretty damn good job of setting up your 4.0 Mustang to be a good performing and very reliable car from the factory. You can always find plenty of guys on these forums to tell you the car is not good enough in stock form and needs to be modded. Is that really true though? Not to me. I've done both and honestly I like the car better stock. So I'm not just playing devils advocate here. I've been on both sides of the issue. I've got nothing against guys who modd their car. It's what car guys do. I'm just telling you to take a lot of what gets said about how bad the car is stock with a big grain of salt because it's just not true.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Stock as in Deluxe or Premium Mustang like the Pony Package? Think about it, those of us who purchased the PP, did get an upgrade that many with Deluxe Stangs considered mods to their cars.
So when you say "take a lot of what gets said about how bad the car is stock with a big grain of salt because it's just not true" is partially correct, especially if you got an upgraded Mustang. Now stock.....well, let's just say for 98% of owners on this Forums WILL change SOMETHING to make it uniquely theirs!
Modding isn't necessarily for making the car "better" although it really does. It is something we do to make it stand out from the crowd of other Mustangs.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM
Whitehorse10
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Stock as in Deluxe or Premium Mustang like the Pony Package? Think about it, those of us who purchased the PP, did get an upgrade that many with Deluxe Stangs considered mods to their cars.
So when you say "take a lot of what gets said about how bad the car is stock with a big grain of salt because it's just not true" is partially correct, especially if you got an upgraded Mustang. Now stock.....well, let's just say for 98% of owners on this Forums WILL change SOMETHING to make it uniquely theirs!
Modding isn't necessarily for making the car "better" although it really does. It is something we do to make it stand out from the crowd of other Mustangs.
That's your take on it I guess. I see a great deal of posts around here about using tuners on the Mustang. Now a tuner is not going to change the look of your car and it's not going to make it stand out from the crowd. It has but one purpose and that is to be applied as a performance gain. The same is true of adding a different rear end. This is what I was talking about and it seemed pretty obvious to me. I understand the whole "make your car stand out" mantra although making it better is a matter of point of view. A lot of guys will use the "to make the car better" argument in order to justify why the need to put mods on the car. You dont' need to justify it. Just put the mods on the car because you want to, not because there's something wrong with the car as it is.

Last edited by Whitehorse10; 03-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

Do the combo or just do the tuner?? CAI is $180 more worth it??

Old 03-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Not necessarily. You can see pretty significant differences in how the car drives with just a few mods (gears, CAI, tune) that would run around $1500 total. If you want serious power, then yes, you'll need a pretty hefty checking account. But there ARE quite a few mods for a 4.0 that are "worth it"
Thanks Alec. Funny how some people can be so negative. Not everyone can afford a GT, and are happy making some mods to a V-6.

Seeing your avatar makes me think of how great some Pantera sounds pumping thru the Shaker sound system. Nothing like a little F***ing Hostile or 5 Minutes alone to get you going!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Hotwheelracer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
You can get everything you need for dual exhaust here for only $299.99;

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/products.asp?cat=47

ANYTHING sounds better than the wimpy stock V6 muffler! I'm so glad I made the switch! Looks and Sounds SOOOOOOO much better now!

That is a great deal, but what do you do about the bumper?

Quick Reply: Advice on where to start?