Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

GT muffle, aftermarket axelback or dual exhaust for 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM
numb1zero

Originally Posted by Tino79
Can I take a Magna Flow system from a Shelby GT and fit it to my 4.0 V6. Will the configuration work to make true dual exhaust with a Y pipe
You can't get "true dual exhaust" using a Y-pipe. That's one inlet and two outlets. To achieve true dual exhaust, you'll need an X-pipe (or comparable) with two inlets and two outlets.
As far as fitting a kit designed for the Shelby to your 4.0, share a link with us and I'm sure I or someone else can help you determine possible fitment.

good luck
Old 07-13-2011, 06:10 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Update- I got my boomtube axelback last sunday, and ppl tell me how good it sounds everywhere I go. And when I tell ppl its a v6 and not a v8, they are shocked. Big, low throaty agressive sound
Old 07-25-2011, 04:56 PM
numb1zero

Originally Posted by stags
Update- I got my boomtube axelback last sunday, and ppl tell me how good it sounds everywhere I go. And when I tell ppl its a v6 and not a v8, they are shocked. Big, low throaty agressive sound
Sweet, does the throttle feel more responsive?
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Nice OP, sounds like you got what you were searching for. But for the others out there, I hear the axle-back Borla is a pretty good option too. Not too loud, no rasp, but be warned- its closer than the other axle-backs to the deep blurble known in imports...
Old 07-26-2011, 01:58 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I did a couple mods all around the same time-

Cervinis type iv hood
Saleen STS
RP Synchromax tranny fluid

And a few weeks later the boomtube

With all 4 of the above mods installed, I noticed a power difference in the car. It came on more agressively and responded alot better. Throttle response notably improved. However, after about 2 weeks running the RP Synchromax, I started to get a grinding sound out of third gear. So i switched back to an el cheapo petroleum based Mercon V ATF from advanced auto parts. The grinding sound went away, but so did the aforementioned performance gain. Not to say the boomtube didnt increase performance, but I have no dyno numbers or evidence to prove anything, just my sense of the car. And my sense says that while the boomtube helps a little, the majority of the percieved perfomance increase was the result of the RP which was in fact slowly killing my third gear synchro.

Im going to try amsoil ATF next, we'll see what happens
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 AM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Also, after a few weeks of driving the boomtube (Prolly close to 1000 mi) I have adjusted to the muffler and the muffler has set into the car. It is not as loud, unrefined or harsh. it gives off a smoother deep burble, and is largely inaudible below 2200 RPM. Hit the gas, and watch people jump all around you, and turn and look at ur car with the OHSH!T look

* Our sixers are not V8s. While we can get them sounding real nice, they will never authentically replicate a v8 sound
Old 07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stags
* Our sixers are not V8s. While we can get them sounding real nice, they will never authentically replicate a v8 sound
Absolutely true. Thing is though.... historically, V8's don't have a lock on exhaust tone. Some of the sweetest exhaust notes one can have the pleasure of hearing would be British inline 6's such as Jaguar, Triumph, etc.

Just cuz ours don't have the "stumbling" firing order of an 8 does not in any shape manner or form limit us. We can certainly have awesome sounding machines.

OK interestingly enough and for the moment, my newly installed X-pipe duals with (manual trans) GT takeoff mufflers suits me just fine. At idle they have an underlying note of authority without "advertising" too much. WOT and upwards of 2500rpm they have a howl to them that I've not heard the likes of before... and I do like it.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not. But then if you look at the availabilty and variety of exhausts and mufflers I'm sure you can find what suits you as well. Not only for our cars... but just about everything else out there. Really... just look at the exhaust options available for motorcycles. It's really nuts!

Think on it... now we can come to sites like this and review posted clips of exhausts, etc. Or even the manufacturer's websites... they do the same. It makes good business sense really. That wee bit of technology... was totally unavailable 20 years ago... so you hadda order what you thought would work and hope for the best. Or hope that what you get might sound like the guy's car down the street... or something you saw on TV even.

That's what's great too.... we all do little things to our cars... to make them "our own". To individualize them. There are a LOT of 'Stangs out there. Is there another EXACTLY like mine? Yeah... probably... but I've yet to see it in my travels. ;-)

MOD ON!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM
aero86
2nd Gear Member

welllll.. ill add my reply to this even though im a newbie to mustangs. muffler was my first mod, even before id had the car for 24 hours! lol. my boss at work had a 05 GT mustang and had bought flowmasters for it. one of them started to rattle so he put the stockers back on. well anyways, he got rid of the GT and got a 08 shelby gt500 and he put straight pipes on it so he didnt need the flowmasters anymore. soooo, this past friday, we decided to swap the right side flowmaster onto my car. luckily it wasnt the one that was rattling. sounds really good on the car. even he said it sounds great even with his s/c 5.4 lol.

but, yeah, idk if flowmaster makes a muffler for the v6, but if they do, go for it, itll give you great sound.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Joe Cool

Just YouTube it man! It really depends on the sound you want. I just spent 190 and got a single axelback boom tube. It's cheap and sounds awesome.