Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Royal Purple Synchromax & the T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 09:11 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Default Royal Purple Synchromax & the T5

Hey guys-

So I was cruising the forum interwebs and was discomforted to find a few posts about how RP Synchromax apparently destroys the synchros in the T5 manual tranny... Im wondering if any of you have experienced this or if the RP is in fact a safe tranny fluid to run... Id really rather put 3k towards an X than having to replace the tranny! I already have the RP product, and will (Barring damning replies from you all) put it in tues when I get my car back from the body shop (Cervinis hood ). My thought process being if things start to get funky I can always drain the RP and put in some Mobil1 ATF, and the problems may have been with older t5s and not the newer ones (Mines an 09)

Fire Away!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:42 PM
hueyhy

Originally Posted by stags
Hey guys-

So I was cruising the forum interwebs and was discomforted to find a few posts about how RP Synchromax apparently destroys the synchros in the T5 manual tranny... Im wondering if any of you have experienced this or if the RP is in fact a safe tranny fluid to run... Id really rather put 3k towards an X than having to replace the tranny! I already have the RP product, and will (Barring damning replies from you all) put it in tues when I get my car back from the body shop (Cervinis hood ). My thought process being if things start to get funky I can always drain the RP and put in some Mobil1 ATF, and the problems may have been with older t5s and not the newer ones (Mines an 09)

Fire Away!
curious about your result.
just replaced with some aap Mercon ATF, but feels so hard to get in gears, not sure if the fluid caused synchro problem. thinking of changing some fluid to see if it can get better.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

I put RP Syncromesh in and it was the biggest mistake I had made. Within a week and a hundred miles third gear was unusable and I was convinced that I was going to have to replace the syncro. Way its bbeen explained to me, the T5s need some degree of friction to operate the syncros, and RP overlubes. Bottom line is, I dropped the RP, had better operation with a generic Mercon ATF from autozone, Put some Amsoil ATF in and have not had a problem since. Do it right the first time, get amsoil.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I haven't heard a lot of good things about RP and not just their tranny fluids. I'm an Amsoil fan and that's what I recommend.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
hueyhy

I put RP Syncromesh in and it was the biggest mistake I had made. Within a week and a hundred miles third gear was unusable and I was convinced that I was going to have to replace the syncro. Way its bbeen explained to me, the T5s need some degree of friction to operate the syncros, and RP overlubes. Bottom line is, I dropped the RP, had better operation with a generic Mercon ATF from autozone, Put some Amsoil ATF in and have not had a problem since. Do it right the first time, get amsoil.
what about amsoil synthetic MTF?
heard from somebody that works very good.
but will it overlube? (it says 5W30, i think it might be too thin?)
Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Get the multi vehicle atf. See my post in the v6 general as to why. Ive been running that for six months and a couple thousand miles along with the saleen short throw shifter which is only fifty bucks. Having driven a gt500 and a saleen s281 i can say that i am perfectly happy with the tranny with that configuration. Learn from our mistakes. Biggest mistake you can make is disregard what people like nuke and i (especially nuke, o holy mustang god) say. Weve been there done that and sacrificed our transmissions so you dont have to. Dont be a moron. Get amsoil atf.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 PM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Dont be a moron. Get amsoil atf.
ha ha ha !!! wow i almost crapped myself when I read that! don't be a moron!!! makes me wanna run right out and get some!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
stags
3rd Gear Member

Just the truth of the matter... I had wicked problems with stock and RP... Amsoil has cured it all, and while its not perfect by any means I dont feel terrible having driven the GT500, Saleen S281SC, and a Porsche. The Amsoil and Saleen STS make the T5 ok, and wayyy cheaper than a swap
Old 02-13-2012, 05:10 PM
hueyhy

Just the truth of the matter... I had wicked problems with stock and RP... Amsoil has cured it all, and while its not perfect by any means I dont feel terrible having driven the GT500, Saleen S281SC, and a Porsche. The Amsoil and Saleen STS make the T5 ok, and wayyy cheaper than a swap
got it. will change over to amsoil ATF this week when I have time to change it.
also wanted to do a tranny bleed. asked my mechanic he said he never heard of that method (bleeding from the top)
also heard from somwhere say 05 V6 have bleeder valve?
really discouraging that can't find those info by google. was very easy for my last civic si. i thought mustang is more popular...