Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

DIY ? 2007 mustang v6 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

UMMM... the numbers on the oil have nothing to do with quality of the oil
lol

Two odd questions today.
One here and another in the 05-10 main section about spark plugs.

We all have to learn things. Good to see these people are asking questions before
plunging into DIY jobs.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-08-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

i basically understand i gotta replace all the filters including fuel filter . and inspect all the belts check for leaks .where would the trannt dipstick be if i have one ? i have a 2007 v6 automatic
Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Just don't drain the tranny by accident like another guy recently posted.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:57 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by IvanRad
where would the transmission dipstick be if I have one? I have a 2007 v6 automatic
We have a "sealed" transmission - no dipstick.

The way you check the fluid level is to take out the center piece from the drain plug (not the drain plug itself!) put the fill adapter in place and try to pump more fluid in - when it starts to drain back close it up, take it up to operating temperature, move it through the gears, then take out the center section of the plug again and try to pump more fluid in.

Not an easy process.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

but why ... why would they do that .. who makes a car with no tranny dipstick . or atleast who makes a car that can tell you how much tire pressure your wheels have , but you cant even see your engines oil life , or thre tranny level . i mean cmon people lets build cars not exploding time bombs that arent even self maitainable .

Originally Posted by JimC
We have a "sealed" transmission - no dipstick.

The way you check the fluid level is to take out the center piece from the drain plug (not the drain plug itself!) put the fill adapter in place and try to pump more fluid in - when it starts to drain back close it up, take it up to operating temperature, move it through the gears, then take out the center section of the plug again and try to pump more fluid in.

Not an easy process.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:58 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

sorry for the second post but . dont you think customers would be happier if they could actually do their own miatenance . i mean if you want to someone like your product more you should atleast allow , the " real owner of purchase " acess their own tranny oil . ....... we did pay for these cars , we do own them right ? or do we ? these thing amaze me just like audi and vw put plastic pulleys and belts near engine components that get more than 200 degrees hot
Old 10-15-2011, 02:02 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Good thing the ol 4.0 has metal pulleys.
Now for everything else thats made of plastic...
Old 10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Good thing the ol 4.0 has metal pulleys.
Now for everything else thats made of plastic...
what is plastic that needs to be replaced in the 4.0 . also say i throw a supercharger on there im
not talking 12 psi of boost but like a little 7-8 psi for that extra boost . would the engine need a new camshaft etc ?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM
JimC

The engine will handle boost no problem - I run almost 12 lbs on my car and have done so since 90,000 miles; that was after two race seasons on a 75 shot of nitrous. Today I have 186,000 miles on it and still on the stock bottom and top end.

Not necessary to change the cam or anything - install your supercharger and get a proper tune.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:50 AM
IvanRad
2nd Gear Member

i have a sft sf3 its locked tho . i want to get it unlocked tho but its expensive . if i get a supercharger whats the major risk ? would a lower psi be more reliable ?

Quick Reply: DIY ? 2007 mustang v6 oil change