Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 V6 Starts but dies in a few seconds

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by b3guy
So a bad alternator could cause a no start problem? I have a pretty strong battery though. Funny thing is it will start the first time you turn it over then die in a few seconds. Any subsequent tries it will not. Starting to think maybe it is fuel related. My wife bought a half tank of gas about 10 miles prior to the initial stall. I tried to siphon the tank but there must be a check valve in the filler tube. I am not sure how to drain the system safely.
What kind of gas station did you wife pumped from? Sounds like a gas problem.

Ps: Propane comes in handy :P

Last edited by zanypunk; 03-18-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Dmb1990

Default What was the problem

So a bad alternator could cause a no start problem? I have a pretty strong battery though. Funny thing is it will start the first time you turn it over then die in a few seconds. Any subsequent tries it will not. Starting to think maybe it is fuel related. My wife bought a half tank of gas about 10 miles prior to the initial stall. I tried to siphon the tank but there must be a check valve in the filler tube. I am not sure how to drain the system safely.

I'm dealing with this exact same thing what was your problem? I have thrown a lot at it, new throttle body, maf, crankPS, cam POS sensor, new fuel pump new filter and new thermostat housing..... I'm dying can't figure it out
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
Marshallmustang

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I’m having the exact same issue but can’t fix it. Nor can I find a mechanic to fix it either.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:16 PM
AKmustanggal

How did you fix this? I have a 2006. Crank no start. It will start first try after hours of sitting but died immediately.

Not the fuel pump, fuel driver module, fuel filter, or fuel pressure switch
New battery

​I have spark. Shop changed the spark plugs.

Trying to pull injector rail off.

Also going to try to do a compression test.

I have no codes. Just died, like it ran out of gas. But I had a full tank

Sure would be nice to know what other people found

Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 PM
Reference

Default Fix with mine

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem I am having with my 2005 Mustang V6. It just died on my wife and after towing home I cannot get it to run. I thought maybe it was a fuel filter so I changed that with same result. It will start but only run for a few seconds the n dies. Feathering throttle does not help nor does giving it gas. Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks
fuel sensor on the fuel rail was bad.
do not by a cheap one off Amazon.
that fixed mine with the same issue.
Old 11-02-2020, 05:43 PM
don-ohio
1st Gear Member

Went out to start 4.0 2005 Mustang convertible this evening.
Started yup really rough. Like spark plug wires crossed. NO CODES! Fuel press av. 38 to 39 psi. Took wife's car to doctor. Three hours later I started it up again. MUCH smoother.
When revving it was smooth, but started to miss at idle at 850 rpm cold.
Missed less as I warmed it up. When it reached full temperature, it didn't miss at idle again. I suspect MAF needs cleaned or coil pack.
Any suggestions or past experience? Thanks!

Old 12-30-2020, 04:37 PM
Shane Self

Default Maybe a Fix?

All, My son's mustang (2005) had a similar issue. It turned out to be the inertial fuel cutoff switch. We shorted it out and it ran fine. I was perplexed it actually started at all once I found out what it was!
Old 09-14-2021, 08:24 PM
dmtz

Default FIXED!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem I am having with my 2005 Mustang V6. It just died on my wife and after towing home I cannot get it to run. I thought maybe it was a fuel filter so I changed that with same result. It will start but only run for a few seconds the n dies. Feathering throttle does not help nor does giving it gas. Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks

I know this is a super old thread but it saved my sanity! Thanks everyone for their input. I replaced the fuel pump first— NOPE.. Came here and saw the MAF. Replaced that and VROOM— Car started up. Check engine light came on and is throwing the fuel rail pressure sensor as code but it’s starting up like a champ. I also replaced the fuel filter and lord knows it needed it too. I’ll replace the fuel rail sensor now as well.

Anyway—all that to say THANK YOU to the internet gods and those of you who contributed to the fix.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:52 AM
Roi

Default fuel rail sensor

Originally Posted by Reference
fuel sensor on the fuel rail was bad.
do not by a cheap one off Amazon.
that fixed mine with the same issue.
What made you decide to swap the fuel rail sensor? were you getting "check engine" light and /or codes?

Old 03-03-2022, 03:34 PM
Paul T

dmtz said his was throwing a fuel rail sensor code. That's why he changed it and that solved his problem. Anyone know what the fuel rail sensor code is?