Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual trans fluid.... yeah, it's time....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

So far I've done two changes using Mobil 1 syn ATF and it's been fine. 198K on the clock.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Ready to change the stuff when I return... as to frequency of oil changes, call me old school. Pursuant to experience, I prefer to change it every 3 to 4k miles. On a relative scale, oil is cheap. As to what Mfg's, etc., say that's fine and well. I've noticed marked differences in the oil I drain as to the colour and odour between 3-4K and 6K or more miles. Not just a matter of dirt.... chemical bi-products of combustion and such are more what I consider.

As to the trans... we shall see and yeah, I've read the OM.... albeit a bit late in this case pursuant to the trans and the abject foolishness of filling a manual trans with ATF... yeah, sure it's designed for it, I get that... but WHY?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
As to the trans... we shall see and yeah, I've read the OM.... albeit a bit late in this case pursuant to the trans and the abject foolishness of filling a manual trans with ATF... yeah, sure it's designed for it, I get that... but WHY?
Viscosity. ATF is about 20 weight, which is very thin. Good for fuel economy and smoother shifts.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

LOL... That's kinda funny cuz all I ever read about here is how balky our transmissions are.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM
armyjared
1st Gear Member

Wow never would have thought ATF would be in a manual trans. But the viscocity of it is thin and does make sense...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Just becuase automatic transmission have ATF doesn't mean manual transmission should have MTF. Just like you put brake fluid in clutch reservoirs and can use ATF in power steering reservoirs...

ATF is about 20 weight, I believe. Other common lubricates are gear oil (like 75W90) and I know some older Honda's use regular 10W30.

I don't know WTF syncromesh is...
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

ATF is basically an extremely well-refined form of oil... more suitable as being hydraulic fluid. I would be interested in hearing the actual engineering behind it all to be sure. As it were, most "old school" transmissions ran with good olde "Gear Oil"... 90 weight... or some such thing. Much akin to the oil in the differential.

Now... that being said, many years ago when the japanese started producing motorcycles, they just allowed the transmission and crank-case to reside in the same "housing" per se. i.e., the crankcase oil and transmission oil were one and the same. Up to and including wet clutches and such. This was extremely unusual even in motorcycle circles... all the britbikes, Harleys, Indians, etc. had separate castings and oiling systems for the transmission and engine and had a "Primary" chain that ran from the crankshaft to the input shaft on the transmissions.

Pretty interesting the completely different approach. Meanwhile, hopefully today I'll get under there.... was away to Orlando for the week and have all sorts of other BS to catch up on first.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
+1
At this point in the game,
75W rear diff oil would be
your best and cheapest bet.
This would be helpful you think? As it were.... though I've not really gone far at all with the car... the fluid change has done nothing to alleviate the issues I've been having. Hopefully, that's a "yet" issue. Won't know... 'til I actually have some place to GO with the car.

Though I gotta say.... tranny is whisper quiet now.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boneman
Though I gotta say.... tranny is whisper quiet now.
Good!, now clean out your TB that you've been putting off!
Old 09-13-2012, 06:03 AM
Boneman
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm.... I suppose I should do that... though at this juncture, I've known such things to cause issue as in some cases.... cleaning up such things that have developed into being "olde friends" can prove problematic too. ;-)

As it were, and upon further analysis, ponderance of symptoms and finally through confirmation by a mechanic, the trans is not the issue. 'Twould be a roasted T.O. bearing causing the problems that I'm getting in all gears. I recall it was making a very interesting "whistling" noise on COLD mornings in PA. No such mornings here in FL so it just slowly and quietly FAILED here in the heat.

Waiting to hear the bad news on that and if they want stupid money to replace the bearing / Slave Cylinder and clutch... well... I may attempt to tackle it myself.

We shall see.....

Quick Reply: Manual trans fluid.... yeah, it's time....