Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Map Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 04:27 PM
4ohblue

Default Map Lights

Hey guys, I have an 06' V6 stang. Just recently installed the Raxiom LED map lights in my interior. Love them. But when the lights are supposed to be off (doors shut for a minute, or driving) they are still on, only very dim. I know the reason, it is because there is still current running through the wires and the LEDs need much less current to power them. My main question is why is there current running through the wires, they don't lead anywhere else. And if so, doesn't it drain the battery. And how would I fix it? Thank you
Old 02-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Wow, that's a new one to me. But since I've never replaced the map lights, I certainly have no idea. I'd absolutely suspect that there should be NO power to the lights when they are supposed to be off. I'm very curious to hear responses from those that HAVE installed LED map light lamps.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

It's due to how the smart junction box works (this is what I heard elsewhere)...it doesn't just cut power like a switch, instead there's always a small trickle of power going to the socket.

It's too little to light a standard bulb but enough to dimly light LED's (since they light on so little current). We're probably talking like millivolts still going to the lights.

Mine have been like that since I put LED's in there, it's definitely not enough to drain the battery. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:56 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 4ohblue
Hey guys, I have an 06' V6 stang. Just recently installed the Raxiom LED map lights in my interior. Love them. But when the lights are supposed to be off (doors shut for a minute, or driving) they are still on, only very dim. I know the reason, it is because there is still current running through the wires and the LEDs need much less current to power them. My main question is why is there current running through the wires, they don't lead anywhere else. And if so, doesn't it drain the battery. And how would I fix it? Thank you

Hey 4oh,

You are correct, there is a miniscule amount of current running through the wires which is just enough to dimly light an LED bulb.

This does not effect anything on the car and will not drain the battery.

I have these exact map lights on my Mustang which has been away for the winter and only started once a month.

It has never had any trouble starting even after sitting for a month with the leds "lit" and I never expect to run into any issues!

You have nothing to worry about!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions!

-Will
Old 02-23-2015, 05:33 PM
66and06stangs
2nd Gear Member

I have an 06 V6 and mine shut off like the stock bulbs... never had any problem, other than I bought the blue ones and they did not have the look I wanted. I thought about buying the white led set but the blue ones were so bright, they overshadowed my LED door lights with the Mustang logo that I put on my doors recently. I could not see my Mustang logo on the ground when I opened my doors, so I went back to the regular bulbs. If I could have gotten them out I would have given the blue ones to a guy at the Mustang meeting the other night. When I installed them they were just a bit too big for the holes, so I had to file it out a bit. When I tried to take them out, both led's fell into the light enclosure and I gave up trying to get them out... at least, that night anyway. I got them out and reinstalled the stock ones.
My real point is that mine did not stay on, they were completely off.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ghunt
It's due to how the smart junction box works (this is what I heard elsewhere)...it doesn't just cut power like a switch, instead there's always a small trickle of power going to the socket.

It's too little to light a standard bulb but enough to dimly light LED's (since they light on so little current). We're probably talking like millivolts still going to the lights.

Mine have been like that since I put LED's in there, it's definitely not enough to drain the battery. I wouldn't worry about it.
+1 I have the same issue. I've never had a problem with it draining the battery because it is such a minuscule amount of power. It bugged me too, but you'll get used to it. Don't worry about it.