Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 cranking but not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM
jroach

Default 2005 cranking but not starting

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction with this issue. Have an 05 with 128 km on it, just had to replace the harmonic balancer as it had failed. Ran for about 3 days then would not start next time I tried to fire it up. It was running normally, power was good, some stumbling leaving traffic lights occasionally after steady cruise on highway.
This led me to think maybe the fuel pump, however I am told it can be heard priming. Can't hear the tone myself
The day before the no start issue came up, I did run it lower on fuel than I normally would. Still should have had enough to keep the pump from burning up. Even if that could be the cause, would it not be immediate failure?
Went and changed the crank position sensor yesterday being that I didn't when the balancer failed, thought it could be that but nope.
I haven't been able to test pressure on the rails yet.

Thoughts??
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

is it getting fire?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
jroach

I thought that it was but tried some starting fuel in the air breather and it didn't fire with that so I pulled a spark plug cable from the coil pack to see if it would spark when cranked but nothing there either.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:25 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

do you have any codes? also I would recheck your balancer and sensor install, make sure the wires are hooked up and not damaged, check the pickup on the balancer. if that looks good check that you have power to your coil pack.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:38 PM
jroach

Haven't tried that yet. I am away from it for the next few days but will give it a try. Should it be constant power when the key is turned or would the power only be evident when its cranking or started?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:42 PM
jroach

The only code that came up when it first happened was P0622 - Generator field terminal circuit.
I reset the codes and it hasn't come back up.
Possible symptoms from the code is listed as Engine Light being on, probable issue with charging.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:19 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Possible causes
- Battery charge
- Faulty Generator
- Generator harness is open or shorted
- Generator circuit poor electrical connection
- Engine Control Module (ECM) controlled generator
- Faulty ECM
What does this mean?
Tech notes
If the battery is OK then the alternator is more than likely the problem.
What does this mean?
Possible symptoms - Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0622 Ford Description The Engine Control Module (ECM) uses the generator turn on signal circuit to control the generator. A high side driver within the ECM allows the ECM to turn the generator ON and OFF. When Generator operation is desired, the ECM sends a 5 volt signal to the voltage regulator via the generator turn on signal circuit. This causes the voltage regulator to begin controlling the generator field circuit. Once the Generator is enabled by the ECM, the voltage regulator controls generator output independently of the ECM. Under certain operating conditions, the ECM can turn Off the generator by turning Off the 5 volt signal on the generator turn on signal circuit.

Read more: http://www.autocodes.com/p0622_ford.html
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 PM
jroach

Thanks for the input JJ.

Found the issue, after changing the crank sensor I obviously didn't get it on properly. Missed the hole on the bottom so the sensor was too far away from the balancer. Didn't look quite right today and that's when I noticed it. Fired right up after repositioning.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:38 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

glad she is running again