Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Mustang jolts, then loses all power

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 PM
jmahoney1775

Default Mustang jolts, then loses all power

Hey everyone. This is my first time on this forum and looking forward to sharing and learning from everyone. My wife has a 2005 Mustang with the V6. Has 109K miles. Shes had it since 2007 and the car has never had any serious issues. Its been an awesome car (except in the snow). An annoying problem is that the entire gauge cluster is dead for the most part, MPH (works sometimes), the rest are dead. Ill be getting that fixed next week. So recently the car has been having this weird problem. We will be driving, and a loud pop sound will come through the radio, the car will jolt, and the radio will completely reset itself; the anti theft light will flash when this happens. Today however took it up notch. While sitting at a light, the car jolted, and then completely died; zero power. Completely dead! It wouldnt start at all, no power, nothing! Tried for a while with no power, no start, noting! After 30 seconds, power came back, car started up, and we were good again. Im stumped. Ive been researching this issue for days now and havent gotten any answers besides we need to get our keys reprogrammed?!?! I checked the battery and it holds steady around 12.8. Any help would be extremely appreciated! Thank you ahead of time
Old 07-15-2017, 07:17 AM
JimC

Your second thread was deleted. You only need to post this once, please don't clutter up the forums with multiple threads on the same topic.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:00 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Hi there

Sounds like a weird electrical gremlin. There were issues with this generation about water getting on the smart junction box. Below is one thread, there are quite a few of these:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...ete-story.html

Were there any heavy rains lately or did the car go through a car wash? Any water leaks inside the passenger side floor area?