4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Forged internal question... help please and thankyou

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Chad99gt
1st Gear Member

Default Forged internal question... help please and thankyou

Im going to be saving up money this summer to try and get some mods done to my 99GT. I want to do the whole intake system to get it breathing better. I was also contemplating whether a supercharger, or going N/A with a heads and cam deal. If I do go with the heads and cam setup I want to go ahead and forge my internals so I wont have to worry about doing it later on. My question is, what all is involved forging my internals? What needs done and how much does all of this cost. Also what brands do you guys recomend. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

-Chad
Old 03-13-2006, 02:13 PM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Forged internal question... help please and thankyou

i too am saving up to run the N/A route with my car. im interested in whatever your answers are dude!
Old 03-13-2006, 02:39 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chad99gt

Im going to be saving up money this summer to try and get some mods done to my 99GT. I want to do the whole intake system to get it breathing better. I was also contemplating whether a supercharger, or going N/A with a heads and cam deal. If I do go with the heads and cam setup I want to go ahead and forge my internals so I wont have to worry about doing it later on. My question is, what all is involved forging my internals? What needs done and how much does all of this cost. Also what brands do you guys recomend. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

-Chad
You will need forged rods, pistons, and a forged crank. I am planning on going with VT's set. The set is about 2g's with shipping, but I haven't gotten any quotes on labor yet. My goal is to get forged internals with a Stage 2 Blower CAM, and then after I save some more money again, I want to put a KB on it with a 9lb pulley.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:56 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

it was $5500 for the quote i got for getting all the internals + a new shortblock and having all that installed at one shop. that was $2500 by itself. the performance shop i go to quoted me $3000 to put the new block in and test & tune it.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

VT, Fox Lake Racing, Livernois are all good options, but I am partial to VT for some strange reason
Old 03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Chad99gt
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the responses.. anymore input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

-Chad
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Well, we need to know your plan. What your budget is? Are you going N/A or FI? What are your goals?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:48 PM
Chad99gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Well, we need to know your plan. What your budget is? Are you going N/A or FI? What are your goals?
I Was planning on getting the motor to the point where it can hold a substantial power adder such as nitrous or FI. While I had the block apart I wanted to do a cam/heads setup along with forging the internals.. Looking to spend about $5000.. Labor isn't a part of the $5,000... I have someone to do all of that. I want to be able to put down some nice power.. hopefully 350whp on the motor then well into the 400+ with a hefty shot... All oppinions are appreciated.. If you guys have a cheaper/better way to go let me hear it. Right now everything is up in the air, but I was thinking this would be a good way to go.. Lets hear some suggestions.

Thanks
-Chad
Old 03-13-2006, 11:58 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Chad99gt

ORIGINAL: code3GT

I Was planning on getting the motor to the point where it can hold a substantial power adder such as nitrous or FI. While I had the block apart I wanted to do a cam/heads setup along with forging the internals.. Looking to spend about $5000.. Labor isn't a part of the $5,000... I have someone to do all of that. I want to be able to put down some nice power.. hopefully 350whp on the motor then well into the 400+ with a hefty shot... All oppinions are appreciated.. If you guys have a cheaper/better way to go let me hear it. Right now everything is up in the air, but I was thinking this would be a good way to go.. Lets hear some suggestions.

Thanks
-Chad

"Cheaper" does not figure into modding a 4.6 2V....it's gonna cost $$$, ALOT of $$$ if you want 350rwhp all motor. Also, 350rwhp will be on the edge of a streetability. I am at 342rwhp N/A and I am just about at the limit. I have to run 93+ octane fuel at all times and you can forget about gas mileage. My cams, valves and heads are HUGE and everything I did with my set up was what I consider to be the best of the best components and they were very expensive. Just keep doing your research and when you have your final budget figured out...add about 20% to the cost because there are so many things that will pop up and bite you in the a$$.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
J.Taki
1st Gear Member

My understanding is that Ford is going to sell, if not already selling, 03/04 cobra motors Eaton and all the accessories for 8k-9k. If you are willing to wait a little longer and save a little more, that's another option.