4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Slight gear problem!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:36 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default Slight gear problem!?

I had my 4.10`s installed a week ago. Haven`t drove the car since then. They whine pretty bad in 4th when I let off the gas. Therefore, I know they were installed wrong. I can`t bring it back to the shop yet because the guy that did them is on vacation and hes the only one in the shop that knows how to do gears. [:@] Not a big deal because I have another car and the weather hasn`t been the greatest. Just over the weekend I noticed fluid leaking where the driveshaft meets the rear end. Its only leaking a couple drops a day. Now my question is, is my car safe to drive it to this *** in two weeks so he can fix it right? And if I do, am I gonna have to worry about the seal blowing out on me or what? Anyone that knows anything about gears, please let me know what you think. Thanks alot.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:40 PM
Niteryder
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Slight gear problem!?

If it's only a few miles your likely ok. If anything you may have already done the damage (if any). Its just likely that he damaged the seal when he pulled out the pinion, or installing it. I would make sure there is some oil in the diff before you drive it.

The wine is prolly from incorrect backlash.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

C`mon! All this talk about gears on this forum and nobody else can chime in? [>:]
Old 03-13-2006, 10:56 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I had my 4.10`s installed a week ago. Haven`t drove the car since then. They whine pretty bad in 4th when I let off the gas. Therefore, I know they were installed wrong. I can`t bring it back to the shop yet because the guy that did them is on vacation and hes the only one in the shop that knows how to do gears. [:@] Not a big deal because I have another car and the weather hasn`t been the greatest. Just over the weekend I noticed fluid leaking where the driveshaft meets the rear end. Its only leaking a couple drops a day. Now my question is, is my car safe to drive it to this *** in two weeks so he can fix it right? And if I do, am I gonna have to worry about the seal blowing out on me or what? Anyone that knows anything about gears, please let me know what you think. Thanks alot.
I had a whine problem too, from the ford dealer. went on for quite some time, maybe 2K miles, before I got it to a mustang shop.

I guess I almost screwed the rearend for good. They were able to fix it thankfully.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

If you screw up the rear end from faulty instalation and you have any type of a reputable shop.. its THEIR fault and THEY should have to cover the parts/labor to replace what they messed up... now if you went to a sleezy backwoods mechanic.. have fun trying to get him to do any repalcement stuff.

Just make sure you still have fluid in your rear diff before you drive it and I wouldnt drive to quickly either. Should be fine.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HaV

If you screw up the rear end from faulty instalation and you have any type of a reputable shop.. its THEIR fault and THEY should have to cover the parts/labor to replace what they messed up... now if you went to a sleezy backwoods mechanic.. have fun trying to get him to do any repalcement stuff.

Just make sure you still have fluid in your rear diff before you drive it and I wouldnt drive to quickly either. Should be fine.
+1

I would drive it the shortest distance I could thoguh. The local Ford dealer screwed up my install and wouldn't fix it, said that it was bad when they got it

Something was wearing badly back there when the mustang shop got it and stopped it thankfully.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I had a whine problem too, from the ford dealer. went on for quite some time, maybe 2K miles, before I got it to a mustang shop.

I guess I almost screwed the rearend for good. They were able to fix it thankfully.
Thats a long time to drive with gears whining. Did they have to re shim it or replace anything? Mine whines pretty loud in 4th. Not all that bad in other gears, but noticable. Im just worried about the leak the most right now.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:31 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: HaV

Yeah, he knows hes gonna have to eat the cost if anything is messed up. The shop is very reputable. Kinda pisses me off though cause its a performance shop and they do this kind of work all the time. After seeing his stang and what he`s done to it, I really trusted him even more. Fuggin thing runs a 10 in the 1/4. I guess you never know though. [&:]